Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Split Cherry

Real Name
    Steve

Split Cherry

I recommend clicking for the large size......................................

Split Cherry

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Split Cherry

Nice!! The expanse of the shot is wonderful while the buck still stands out.

Real Name
    james

cool I mean cool lookin

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks steve, i'm really liking the 85mm lens. Detailed closeups are nice, but get boring after a while.

Thanks james, glad you liked it. Hope to get a couple more like this one. (won't be easy though)

Real Name
    Chris

Nice pick- I assume you don't mean to be calling that tree a (black) cherry though, correct?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    Nice pick- I assume you don't mean to be calling that tree a (black) cherry though, correct?
    Yes, why do you ask?

Real Name
    Chris

I had initially assumed by the title you meant
    "split cherry (tree)"

Real Name
    Steve

I had initially assumed by the title you meant
    "split cherry (tree)"
    The fork of the cherry tree, split in half and fell to the ground. (hence the big gash on the side of the tree. You can see the tops of the part that fell off in the bottom left of the frame).

So ............split cherry(i'm assuming when you look at it, you will know i'm talking about a tree)...............as in, it split in half. The subject of this image is the tree, not the deer. The deer adds some scale and interest to the middle of the frame and those beautiful pines add interest to the background.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Steve: I see the split on the tree no problem to me about that, however is also appears to be like the other trees a pine of some sort. The bark is almost identical to the others, also the trunk looks wrong for a black cherry tree this is where I am having a hard time wrapping my head aroung the title.

Allan

Real Name
    Bob R

In my humble opinion, if your subject was the tree, it is lost in the deer. My eyes go directly to the deer.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Steve: I see the split on the tree no problem to me about that, however is also appears to be like the other trees a pine of some sort. The bark is almost identical to the others, also the trunk looks wrong for a black cherry tree this is where I am having a hard time wrapping my head aroung the title.

Allan

Here is the base................

Split Cherry

And the limb that fell off the tree..............

Split Cherry

Looks like black cherry to me?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    In my humble opinion, if your subject was the tree, it is lost in the deer. My eyes go directly to the deer.
    Thank you for your opiniion , bob. My eyes go to the tree first and then to the deer. I intentionally placed the tree on the edge of the frame to give it more weight.(+ its much larger and fills the frame, unlike the secondary subject , the deer) I think both subjects complement each other, and the deer gives the trees some scale.

Everyone has their own opinions, and i appreciate the feed back. If your looking at the deer first, i'm ok with that, but i want my viewers to also look at the split tree as well.

Real Name
    Bob R

Yes, it is an opinion. Mine probably because I deal with animals a lot more than trees (not that I don't like trees). However, I agree, the tree is taking substantial part of the frame, and you can't help to notice it. To be frank, the more I look at it, the more I 'see' the tree. All in all, a great picture.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    Yes, it is an opinion. Mine probably because I deal with animals a lot more than trees (not that I don't like trees). However, I agree, the tree is taking substantial part of the frame, and you can't help to notice it. To be frank, the more I look at it, the more I 'see' the tree. All in all, a great picture.
    Thank you bob, honest feedback helps us all become better photographers. I appreciate it.

Real Name
    Chris

As was said earlier, Steve, seeing needles above seemingly on the same tree I assumed they are part of the tree, making it a pine (since Black Cherry is deciduous)... but anyway...

Real Name
    Steve

As was said earlier, Steve, seeing needles above seemingly on the same tree I assumed they are part of the tree, making it a pine (since Black Cherry is deciduous)... but anyway...
    Seemingly, but not the same. It is in fact a black cherry tree. As a matter of fact, the part that is split, is not even attached to the other stock. They are 2 seperate limbs. look closely.