#3. Roadside Memorial

EXIF: 1/25s: f11: ISO 800: 60mm: Matrix: 1/3 EV: AFS
    Foggy Day in the Forest
    Asst120117-3266 by Wendy FS, on Flickr

Wendy

Real Name
    Myra

Re: Foggy Day in the Forest

Wendy, I like the first one for it's vertical lines and the contrast between the fog and the dead grass has a nice balance. This is going to sound strange, but for the last one, I'd see if I could hunker down on an old mat or something off to the side of that cross and shoot up towards the tree tops and sky for a desolate, symbolic heaven and earth kind of look. Are you up for reclining on the cold, winter ground for a shot<LOL>? Do you know what or who is buried there?

Real Name
    Kathy

Love all of them Wendy but the first one is fantastic, very mystical I feel as though I am in the photo walking around in the forest. The grass in the forground adds a very nice touch!!

Real Name
    Mike

I really like how the trees behind the one in front in the first image look. If the weird U shaped branch was not there…

The third one… I can see alot of options for further pics using the cross in the tall grass… however, Id take out the florescent orange post in front of the tree between the cross and the first tree in the front.

Having said that, I like #1 over #2.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

My vote goes to # 1

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Wendy,

These are hot! I think you did a great job getting some focus through the soupy air. The color and contrast are really nice. I think #3 is my favorite. The memorial adds a great deal to the overall emotion of the image. I might fiddle with the crop if possible. I really like the texture of the tree on the right and the missing bark on the left tree. I'm not certain you can keep both trees in a different crop but I would favor the cross in the bottom right of a vertical crop that incorporates the tree on the left omitting the tree on the right and the tree in the mid-ground right. I can't tell if there is enough height on the original to manipulate in the way I am seeing it but I think it would provide wonderful depth to the image with the cross as the primary subject. Cloning out the orange stick is a good idea as mentioned.

Manipulate #3 or leave it as is... I think it is a big winner but all three are great!

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Wendy, I like the first one for it's vertical lines and the contrast between the fog and the dead grass has a nice balance. This is going to sound strange, but for the last one, I'd see if I could hunker down on an old mat or something off to the side of that cross and shoot up towards the tree tops and sky for a desolate, symbolic heaven and earth kind of look. Are you up for reclining on the cold, winter ground for a shot<LOL>? Do you know what or who is buried there?
    Thanks Myra, I like your idea for a reshoot. I don't have a problem at all hunkering down for a shot. Getting up is the problem.
    I don't think anyone or anything is buried there. I'm not sure why the cross is there, but I have seen at least 4 other memorials in my walks on country roadsides. I know one of them was the scene of an accident where someone was killed, because it was on a road I travelled every day and I had to detour the day of the accident. The other ones, I have no idea, but it always makes me sad when I come across them.

I liked the colours and simplicity of this one.

Wendy

Real Name
    Clive

First I like #1 over #2 because of the height and depth. IMO I prefer #3, straight away there is a story. The orange flag thing is a distraction and once you know it's there it does draw the eye, but a different perspective/angle as mentioned will cure that. I have the problem of concentrating on the subject and not the whole image and hence trees growing out of heads.

Real Name
    Wendy

Love all of them Wendy but the first one is fantastic, very mystical I feel as though I am in the photo walking around in the forest. The grass in the foreground adds a very nice touch!!
    Thank you Kathy

I really like how the trees behind the one in front in the first image look. If the weird U shaped branch was not there…
    Thanks Harpo... well sort of... That weird U shaped branch is what caught my eye and I suppose I did not succeed with the composition, but it was supposed to look sort of spooky. Hard to explain, it reminded me of cartoons I used to see where the trees had faces and these weird branches were arms or noses or elephant trunks. They were usually in spooky scenes with someone alone in the forest but all the trees were watching.
    Anyway, long story short the funny branch has to stay.
    Thanks for the vote on number 1. I sort of like that one the best too, but in the second one I liked the branches (arms) on the trees in the background.

The third one… I can see alot of options for further pics using the cross in the tall grass… however, Id take out the florescent orange post in front of the tree between the cross and the first tree in the front.
    Agreed on the post, that was lazy of me. I should have taken it into Elements and cropped it. I did try to get it behind the tree when shooting, but there were a lot of other signs and posts that I had to hide and I couldn't hide all of them.

My vote goes to # 1
    Thanks Kris, looks like #1 is winning so far

I might fiddle with the crop if possible. I really like the texture of the tree on the right and the missing bark on the left tree. I'm not certain you can keep both trees in a different crop but I would favour the cross in the bottom right of a vertical crop that incorporates the tree on the left omitting the tree on the right and the tree in the mid-ground right. I can't tell if there is enough height on the original to manipulate in the way I am seeing it but I think it would provide wonderful depth to the image with the cross as the primary subject. Cloning out the orange stick is a good idea as mentioned.
    Thanks Epmi, I did a quick edit with what I had, and you are absolutely spot on with your suggestions. I can't get the height in this one, will go back for a reshoot and try what you suggested. I won't have the fog, but I'll see how it comes out. Is this what you are thinking but with more height, like what Myra suggested from a low angle with the cross right in front and shooting towards the sky

Foggy Day in the Forest
    Asst120117-3266-2 by Wendy FS, on Flickr

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful as always
    Wendy

Real Name
    Jim

I like them all but #1 is my favourite by far

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Wendy, great set! I love the mood of #1 with the lighting being lower and the fog being thick. The composition of #3 is great, though I do like Myra's idea, I love low upward shots like that so I can picture it exactly. How about cloning out the orange flag, darkening it slightly (to get a bit deeper mood) and adding a touch of vignette? If you had grabbed this shot while the fog was as thick as in #1 with the lower light it would have a whole different feel & look.

Real Name
    james

AT first glance I liked 2 best but after the crop and edit on 3 it stands alone... on the top . great work Wendy!

Real Name
    Richard

I especially love the first one because of the way the color fades into the fog...

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Again, I think they are all great but #3 tells a story! Love it!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wonderful stuff. You certainly know how to shoot in fog. Everything you do when there is fog around is just so packed full of mood and atmosphere.

Now, one could argue that that is what fog does. But you've got to remember that, as a photographer, you've got to transfer that into an image that we view on screen or printed on paper. That's the skill.

Real Name
    Myra

That new crop is great, Wendy! Ditto Donald; you have great atmosphere in your shots.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Wendy,

#1 for me too, although perhaps with a tad more exposure?

I can see why the funny branch attracted your attention, but the crop/framing in #2 doesn't work for me.

The second version with the cross is a more powerful image and is probably the favorite since it was posted, with #1 now second.

Cheers,