Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Week 3 Project 52 Reject

Real Name
    Mal

Week 3 Project 52 Reject

My theme this week was "Man in motion" - blurring the action while attempting to keep the subject sharp. I found that some activities are just too fast to capture without freezing the shot. So this one didn't make it too my Project 52 thread but I thought was worthy of being posted for comment It's a photo of our eldest son doing jumps off a home built scooter ramp.

1/3200s, f/2.8, ISO 3200, 17mm - this was the fifth attempt. Slower shutter speeds resulted in motion blur.

Week 3 Project 52 Reject

Real Name
    Kerry

Re: Week 3 Project 52 Reject

His expression says it all.....You need a bubble saying 'Oh S&%T' LOL ..... I like it, the colours are great.

Real Name
    Brian

Haha, that's pretty cool! I have been tinkering with motion blur for hockey photos so I can relate to what you are trying to do. I have found that panning with the subject works best for me. This blurs everything but the subject, so this may be somewhat opposite of the effect you were going for?

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Haha, that's pretty cool! I have been tinkering with motion blur for hockey photos so I can relate to what you are trying to do. I have found that panning with the subject works best for me. This blurs everything but the subject, so this may be somewhat opposite of the effect you were going for?
    That was my Project 52 theme for this week. I got one of Alex on the bike while panning. In this case Jack's motion was up and down as well as side to side so I was struggling to get him sharp so it looked better as a frozen in action type shot. I had to lie down on the road to get it.

Real Name
    Brian

Fill flash from on camera?

Real Name
    Mal

Fill flash is something I need to study and practice on - as is getting a speedlite at some point. Probably a really good theme for this week though - thanks!

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the info.

Yes, a bit of flash on his face was my first thought. But with a shutter speed of 1/3200 I'm not sure how effective it would have been; even with the high speed flash option.

However, it would have been an interesting experiment.