Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moneytree

Real Name
    Reima

Moneytree

I studied about lowkey photos, and played a bit. This plant is called rahapuu in Finland, which means moneytree translated in English. The legend goes something like if the plant thrives it means you're going to be economically safe

Moneytree

I used EF 50 f1.8 II, f7.1, 1/125s, iso 100, and a mounted flash turned right and bouncing from a white wall which was just next to the camera and flash. I wanted to use larger aperture but then I'd have to lift the shutter speed and then the flash is too slow for the shutter or something, the bottom of the picture stays black.

EDIT: didn't see that upper part was different colored black before posting the photo, that part is added afterwards, when I changed the composition.
    Last edited by reima000; 15th January 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Real Name
    Kerry

Re: Moneytree

We have quite a few in our garden at home, which we call Jade Plants aka Money Tree As for economically sound, doesnt seem to work for us LOL. I like the way you've captured this shot. Nice!

Real Name
    Peter

Reima, I think something you are saying is not 100% right. If you are lighting the subject mainly by flash, the shutter speed should not affect the exposure. It is possible that you will hit your high speed sync limit but this can easily be overcome by pushing a button on the flash. Alternatively you may be maxing out the power on your flash, I which case you have heaps of room to move on your ISo.

In any case you should be able to get more dof if that is what you desire?

If this doesn't make sense ican expand a little more for you.

Real Name
    Reima

Kerry, thanks for the comment, and it does not seem to work so well for us either

Ricco, the flash is old, its called Starblitz 3600 DFNi, and i believe there is no such button on the flash that would help me, so I think there is no way to sync it better with the shutter. With larger aperture I meant that i would like to use the 50mm at around f2.2, and with shutter speed of 1/250 which seems to be the max with this flash, i cant get the background to "low key black". I think i'd have to have the shutter speed somewhere to 1/1000 before i could get the background (white room wall with lights on) black. Perhaps i should shoot in a dark room, and somehow avoid the flash light bouncing and lighting the whole room o.O

I have a feeling that i might be quite lost with what i'm speaking, i am still learning these things.