Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: courtship converted to bw

Real Name
    james

courtship converted to bw

I really thought I had something when I seen this image in my viewfinder, but alas came home to disapointment. I played with the image for a month or two still no luck. Tonight I thought I would try it in b&w Please let me know, any good I will include both images... any other ideas?courtship converted to bw courtship converted to bw

Real Name
    Richard

Re: courtship converted to bw

Neat images. I like the B&W best...

Real Name
    John

B & w

Real Name
    Mal

Definitely the B&W

I think the color photo has more potential. For instance, it captures the warm glow of the low sun, which is lost in the B&W version. I suggest processing the color version a bit. I see two possible routes. One would be to enhance the contrast - making more like the B&W. The other would be to make it more high key - a more pastel look. Also, you could possibly crop it so that the horse on the right is closer to the edge and also maybe get rid of more of the grass in the foreground, offsetting the horses to the right more (centering less) and leaving some open space to the left of the horses. Overall, I think its a decent photo especially with the interaction between the two horses.

Real Name
    Kevin

I like John's suggestion on experimenting with a more high key appproach, although I'm not sure the background suits it well.
    A significant blur of the background might also isolate your subjects better, along with a tighter crop. The story appears to me to be the relationship between the horses, and the background is more a busy distraction. Don't give up on this one, James. I think your instinct was correct and you still have a keeper

Kevin

Real Name
    Wendy

I'm with John, I think the light and the colours would lend itself well to a more pastel look. The B&W I good, but when I scrolled down I immediately liked the colours. I think with the crop and adjustments that have been suggested, you'll be able to save this one.

Wendy

Real Name
    james

Thanks for the input everyone. As they are now I like the b&w better, but I love the idea of a pastel look (now I just gotta figure out how to go about that) I will start with crops and maybe a strong background blur. Then its back to elements for dummies ha ha .Once again thanks all.