Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Small stream

Real Name
    Gary

Small stream

An interesting little stream not very far from where I live. It gets fed into from a large quarry nearby. The water in it is beautifully clean.

Small stream

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Re: Small stream

Gary,

I think this image leaves something on the table so to speak. It may well be the upload but the picture overall looks a bit soft from a focus standpoint. The exposure is pretty good to my eye but the speed of the water seems a bit in between. You may choose to up the shutter for crisp frozen action or slow it down, perhaps incorporate a filter for help and bleed the water over the branches. I can see this big quarry with crystal clean water and hope you can get back there for some more!

Real Name
    Gary

Scott, thanks for you comment. I think that one of the issues I have at the moment is that I am using a 35mm film camera and having the film processed and put onto CD. The camera has been giving a few problems and I think a combination of my settings and the camera's problems are giving me quality issues. But, at the moment it is the best I have. But, it at least gives me the opportunity to get some images and great feedback which allows me to grow as a photographer.

Cheers for now

Gary

Do you do any editing to the photo after uploading it from the CD, Gary?

Saving onto a CD may cause a little softening, depending on the method used. So I suspect adding a little Unsharp Mask would be worth trying.

Particularly as resizing to internet sizes normally causes some softness to appear. I always add a little extra sharpness after a substantial downward resize.

Real Name
    Gary

Geoff, no I haven't done any editing. I will try your suggestion to see the difference.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Gary

I seem to remember that when I had Adobe Elements on a 30 day trial there was an option to create an image specifically for the web. However, I don't have that now. My main operating system is Ubuntu/Linux and there are a few options available with some 'free' software. The two that I use are Digikam and Gimp. Anyway(stop rambling Gary!). I used Gimp to apply the Unsharp mask (defaults). Here is the result, as always comments are valued. Thanks.

Small stream

I thought I would add this image as well. I also used the Digikam to do sharpening. It has an option called Refocus which its says is better than Unsharp. Judge for yourselves. I must admit I think that it is!

Small stream

Cheers for now

Gary
    Last edited by oldgreygary; 12th January 2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Adding a further example of sharpening

Real Name
    Ramachandran

GIMP is an excellent program, Gary. Your image has improved very much. Happy to meet someone still with the film. I am a newbie to digital. My mind works for the film and then try to translate to digital. Many a times I have problems that way. The only solace is that the cost is almost nil.

Real Name
    Mike

Nice work Gary...

I had saved a copy of your pic to my desktop, and had a go at it with
    Lightroom just to see what could be done to sharpen it up and add a
    bit of contrast/color. Your image done in Elements is superior in sharpness,
    no doubt.