Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wooden Fence with Snow . . . I'm a work in progress, feedback please.

Real Name
    Kathy

Wooden Fence with Snow . . . I'm a work in progress, feedback please.

I am posting another photo that I took back in November, I am hoping to learn from these earlier photo's so that the next time I go out to shoot I can really look and think about what I am doing before I snap the photo. I know the photo's that I am posting are not great photo's I am just looking for tips to improve my hobby of photography -- so please let me know what I can do to improve, and if there are things that you like about the photo please let me know about those also, so that I know what I might be doing well. The comments I have gotten in the past have been very helpful. Thanks for your help.

Do you think the post in the foreground is to overpowering?? It seems to be out of focus is that okay??

Wooden Fence with Snow . . . I'm a work in progress, feedback please.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Wooden Fence with Snow . . . I'm a work in progress, feedback please.

It is, and since your background is mostly white, using a deeper depth of field, say f/16 or 22 wouldn't have hurt the scene and gotten the fore post in focus.

Real Name
    Kathy

Chris,
    When you say "it is" are you refering to the post being overpowering or just out of focus? Thanks for your feedback - it is appreciated!

Real Name
    Rhonda

My thoughts Kathy and let me first state I am in know way a pro at this... But I'm a work in progress as well : ) I think the post does overpower it because it is (1) out of focus and (2) it falls right on the line of thirds. If it was in focus it would add to the composition of the photo instead of take away. I tried picturing it without the post and it didn't have the same power if it were in focus. I hope this makes sense..

Real Name
    Kathy

It does make sense, and that was the same thoughts I was having . . . but needed that reassurance from some other more experienced photographers . . . like I said this will help me the next time I go out and shoot some pictures, I will do alot more thinking before I snap the photo! Thanks for your input!!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kathy: what if, you shot is in portrait, had your camera more to the left over the top strand of the fence plus panned a little more to the right, so that the post, wire and bush are more on the left hand side of the frame.

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

Allan,
    Definately something to think about! Thanks again for your help!!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Chris,
    When you say "it is" are you refering to the post being overpowering or just out of focus? Thanks for your feedback - it is appreciated!
    Foreground Post is OOF..and too much so to make the scene work. It's just too hard NOT to look at.

Real Name
    Kathy

Thanks for clearing that up Chris, I agree.

Real Name
    Pierre

When I first started landscapes, I took shots of stuff I liked...only stuff I liked did not work too well. One issue I had (and this image has) is there is too much going on (too busy) and no real place for the eye to focus on. When you are out shooting, look for a subject and focus on that.

Real Name
    Kathy

Thankyou that is one thing that I have been learning from this forum and will definately try to keep in mind when I go out shooting again. Thank you so much.