Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Butterflies

  1. #1
    artisinme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Kristin

    Butterflies

    Hello Everyone,

    I just joined this community and thought I would post up a few pics that I took. These were taken at a Butterfly Show at Carleton University. Any comments or tips to improve would be greatly appreciated

    img_5525-copy.jpg

    Kristin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th January 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: put image inline

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    34
    Real Name
    Rhonda

    Re: Butterflies

    Lovely picture of the butterfly however the yellow stem of the flower draws my attention away from the main subject which is the butterfly.

  3. #3
    artisinme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Kristin

    Re: Butterflies

    Thank you very much for the helpful feedback Rhona I'll keep that in mind for future shots

  4. #4
    shreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,318
    Real Name
    Ian

    Re: Butterflies

    Kristin,

    Do you have any tips for the rest of us regards butterfly photography? I am doing some later in the month and any difficulties you found would be good to share.

  5. #5
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,234
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Butterflies

    Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Do you have any tips for the rest of us regards butterfly photography? I am doing some later in the month and any difficulties you found would be good to share.
    Hi Ian,

    Frankie would be another good person to ask as she 'works' with them (or did before she moved).

    My own "two penn'th" is the fairly obvious "get square on to them" or you'll have DoF problems.

    This is the best I have ever managed and only achieved that because this one, unlike the other 99% I encounter, was 'co-operative'

    Cheers,

  6. #6
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,234
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Butterflies

    Hi Kristin,

    Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

    You might want to review the various image posting alternatives here; HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

    You 'skipped a bit' in the instructions which meant the image was small, I have fixed that this time. The above link explains all.

    Do you have access to any PP (Post Processing) software?
    I ask because a crop (or bit of 'burning') to remove (or tone down) that bright leaf on left would be advisable.
    It might be possible to dodge the wings to increase the brightness of the shadow areas a bit.

    All the best,

  7. #7
    artisinme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Kristin

    Re: Butterflies

    Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Kristin,

    Do you have any tips for the rest of us regards butterfly photography? I am doing some later in the month and any difficulties you found would be good to share.
    Hello Ian,

    To be honest, I am quite an amature when it comes to photography. When I took the photos of the butterflies, it was in an enclosed greenhouse so they were everywhere which made it quite easy to zoom in an snape a shot of one. I guess patience and just keep your camera close to your eye so that the minute you see one land you can take a quick photo. Hope that helps!

    Good luck!

    Kristin

  8. #8
    artisinme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Kristin

    Re: Butterflies

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Kristin,

    Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

    You might want to review the various image posting alternatives here; HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

    You 'skipped a bit' in the instructions which meant the image was small, I have fixed that this time. The above link explains all.

    Do you have access to any PP (Post Processing) software?
    I ask because a crop (or bit of 'burning') to remove (or tone down) that bright leaf on left would be advisable.
    It might be possible to dodge the wings to increase the brightness of the shadow areas a bit.

    All the best,
    Thanks Dave,

    I'll take a look at the instructions for my next posting.

    In regards to the Post Processing Software, do you mean something like "Photoshop?" I don't have one yet, but I will keep your advice in mind for the future. Also, do you know of any inexpensive ones?

    Thanks,
    Kristin

  9. #9
    Rob Douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Freehold NJ
    Posts
    602
    Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I would suggest a flash for some fill light on the back side of the wings. The right wing is way darker than the left wing with the light coming threw it. The way the lighting is now is kind of distracting and you loose detail in the wings being so dark.

  10. #10
    artisinme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Real Name
    Kristin

    Re: Butterflies

    Thanks Rob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •