Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally...

Real Name
    Bobo

Finally... (updated)

Finally fixed enough to go out shooting but taking it easy just in case.

So ducks and gulls it was...

After nearly 6-8 weeks on not using the camera forgot all about my usual basic pre-shoot checks and ended up with the IS turned off. At least I am now certain that the 400/5.6 is not for me.

Trying to develop a "painterly/artsy" style to my pp.

As always constructive comment is truly appreciated.

Finally...

Finally...

Finally...

Finally...

Finally...
    Last edited by Bobobird; 12th January 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Finally...

Love the photo #3, they look so gosh darn cute!! I also like how you captured the light on the water!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Not so taken with the 2nd & 4th in the series. Not sure they work so well. But that's just because I've got others to compare them against, which is always the issue when trying to comment on a multiple post like this.

But this ............................

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post

Finally...
    This is wonderful. Gorgeous simplicity, but put into effect brilliantly.

There could be a debate about changing the ratio to crop out some at the top (and I am usually the one who seems to advocate doing such things). But in this case I think the complete image, as is, gives us the context; i.e. it tells the story. Love it.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Kathy. It was pre-sunset so the light did it all by itself.

Thanks Donald - very glad you commented.

On looking again I agree 2 and 4 do not quite fit in. I have several of 4 without the incoming done almost the same as 5.

Real Name
    Anne

lovely photos but #1 for me is by far my favourite. well done

I actually rather like #2, Bobo, and I know how difficult it is to shoot a group of flying birds.

A pity about the flying bird in the foreground of #4, but 'that's life'.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Anne and Geoff.

#1 - only now seeing that shaft of light in the middle. Is there a way of giving it some prominence without affecting the rest of the "feel".

Thanks.

#4 without his/her pal trying to bomb him/her (not a clone job).
    Finally...
    Last edited by Bobobird; 8th January 2012 at 02:33 AM.

You said, "As always constructive comment is truly appreciated.", so I will.

You have a tendency to center your main subject horizontally and/or
    vertically. Try some crops avoiding this.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Tony. Not sure what you mean. Is there some place with examples?

I have some subjects that are diagonally placed but not sure if that is what you have in mind.

Finally...

Finally...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bobo, I always love to see your bird shots, particularly those that are taken at the bird's eye height rather than shooting down on them. Unfortunately, most of the time that means laying in the sand and water to get the shot!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank.

Not always possible. This time would have meant into icy water so it was as close down as possible but as you can tell not low enough.

Now if the camera had a articulating screen then maybe as liveview could be used instead of the viewfinder. When a 7D comes out with that configuration I can imagine it going on a tripod and sinking that to water lever for these shots.

Real Name
    Mal

Fantastic shots Bobo. I especially love No 3 and No 5

Quote Originally Posted by TonyCooper View Post
    You said, "As always constructive comment is truly appreciated.", so I will.

You have a tendency to center your main subject horizontally and/or
    vertically. Try some crops avoiding this.
    Bobo. This is something of a personal choice and varies a bit depending on the type of subject. For example, your second series of shots totally fills the frame while the previous ones tend to have a main subject placed approx in the centre with relatively clear space around it.

Now comes the difficult part. How else to arrange the scene? Well to be honest, with that type of scene where you wish to display a bird plus an indication of it's surroundings I would have cropped slightly differently; but not a lot different from what you did.

There is an alternative method which relies on placing objects according to the 'Rule of Thirds' where all important objects are arranged according to a pre-determined grid.

Personally, while I agree that this works well with 'hand crafted' studio shots it can be difficult to arrange with nature shots and still look natural. Some people place the main subject well off centre, so it falls on one of the nine imaginary thirds areas.

But this can end up with, for example, having a bird placed in the bottom left corner, but looking to the right, and the rest of the image being background. In my opinion, this can be difficult to arrange in a way which pleases me unless you can find some balancing feature in the background.

Arranging a shot which places the subject away from the exact centre of the image is something which you can experiment with; but, personally, I think there is also a danger of becoming a slave to an arbitrary 'Rule of Thirds' which in reality is more of a guide line than a firm rule.

So, try a few different crops, but end up by doing what looks best to you; after all, it's your photos.

Real Name
    Chris

Love #3!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Frank.

Not always possible. This time would have meant into icy water so it was as close down as possible but as you can tell not low enough.

Now if the camera had a articulating screen then maybe as liveview could be used instead of the viewfinder. When a 7D comes out with that configuration I can imagine it going on a tripod and sinking that to water lever for these shots.
    And not always easy when it is possible. I carry a thick garden kneeling pad and a right angle attachment for my viewfinder so I can hold the camera lower and look straight down into the viewfinder but my bones don't bend as well as they did when I wore a younger man's clothes so getting that far down (and back up) has its challenges!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Geoff on the cropping insights. Will research around a bit and maybe try something different with the next shoot. The thing with birds is that there are so many "rules". No back shot, focus on eye/center of head, must look into space of some kind, preferably full body unless it is a portrait style head-shot. preferably not centered, etc etc. And one has usually just seconds to take a shot.

This one breaks all the rules but is one of my favourite shots and make me smile each time.
    Finally...

... BUT it breaks all the rules.

Frank - not much different here squeaky old bones and all. I do not carry anything in particular but have a thick plastic garbage bag that serves as ground covering when needed and a protective bag should it start to rain etc. Not so sure what to do with snowy winters.

Thanks too Malcom and Chris - glad you liked them.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Wow! Talk about 'flipping the bird'! This guy does it with style! LOL!

Not bad at all. Sometimes it plays to break the rules!

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Bobo. I love everything about #1 &3 and would not change a thing. The crop is perfect and I cannot imagine those 2 any other way. Someone said everything is centred, BUT i don't see that at all. The horizon is not centred the birds are scattered throughout the frame in a balanced manner with enough space around them to give a sense of context. I don't understand the centred comment at all - perhaps someone can explain????

The expressions in that third shot are priceless. The lead duck looks so stoic like he's on a very serious mission and the others look like they are wondering whether to follow or not - being ducks they will though, it's what they do.

The processing is wonderful too, I really like the look. Oh and did I mention the lighting. Great shots all around.

Wendy

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Wendy, hope to better in the near future.

Real Name
    John

Nice images, I like the isolated focusing/dof applied to a particular bird. In the first you have nearly achieved the painterly effect you were seeking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast