Thread: landscapes from Wairarapa

Real Name
    Karen McCosh

landscapes from Wairarapa

Please post C & C as I am new to this forum & would like your feed back Thanks
    These photos were all taken with a Fujifilm s6500. I love taking sunsets & anything involved with nature, please comment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: landscapes from Wairarapa

Those are three tricky scenes so they have worked well; particularly the last one.

Although those images have shown up reasonably well, have you read this post about uploading photos.

HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Hi Karny and welcome what camera are you using? Is it fully automatic?

Real Name
    Karen McCosh

Thanks for the feed back Geoff F & WJT. I did try to upload from Flickr but it wouldn't work . Will try again.I am using a Fujifilm s6500 . Most of the time I use it in aperture priority.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Hi Karen,

You have a good eye. The thing with photographing sunsets is when your camera does the thinking it will be fooled by the ammount of light if you point it directly at the sunset. If you spot metre, which is to take a reading from a spot with softer light (a few degree's to either side of the sunset) and then compose the picture you will get a lot less black areas in the result and a lot more colours.

Give it a go next time, you can take your settings from the spot by holding your button half way down then recompose and shoot.

Wayne

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

Great set Karen. I love sunrise/sunset images. Tastes will vary in how much detail people like in the darker shadow areas. It all depends on the seen IMO. Sometimes a fully blacked out silhouette works whereas some images getting to see a bit of the detail in an object brings on a whole different look to the seen. If your not sure what will look best for the seen you are faced with, shoot in full manual and start -1 on exposure and work your way up to +1 in 1/3 increments. When you view your images in your editing software of choice you will be able to choose which one works best. Great work and welcome aboard.
    Last edited by Rob Douglas; 10th January 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Karen, the colours look really beautiful. I think you have recieved some good advice on sunset shots already. Lots that I was interested in myself.

Regarding uploading from Flickr. In flickr click on the image you want to upload so you have that picture alone on your flickr screen. You will see a dropdown arrow above and to the left that says SHARE. Click the dropdown and then select GRAB THE HTML/BB CODE. Make sure you have BB checked and then just copy and paste the code from flickr into your post here.

Wendy

Real Name
    Ken

Possibly if you want warmer colours in the sunset then use either the daylight or cloudy preset white balance, as AWB tries to cool down the orange and red colours, but does intensify the blues

Real Name
    Karen McCosh

Thanks for all the feedback. Sometime I use the sunset mode on my camera other times manual .Thanks for the hint about focusing on the softer light . I haven't done that lately , must remember to do it.Thanks everyone

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Your welcome, lets see the next shoot.