Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: St Loy's Cove

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

St Loy's Cove

This is St Loy's Cove looking across to Boscowen Point. It was very near here that the MV Union Star was wrecked and the Penlee Lifeboat, Solomon Browne, was lost with all hands on the night of 19th December 1981. The thirtieth anniversary was marked with a service in Truro Cathedral.

I shall be staying in Mousehole in a fortnight's time in the hope of shooting some rough seascapes.

St Loy's Cove
    Last edited by ChrisH; 5th January 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    That is a beautiful seascape Chris. I love the texture & colors of the rocks in the foreground.

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: St Loy's Cove

I think that if you can get here at sunrise or sunset for some really nice light then you will get some beautiful shots. Looks a really nice place to photograph!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Nice one, Chris.

That big rock coming in on the lower left-hand edge - I don't know how much moving about you did to get the composition that we see here. I wonder if adjusting your position could have kept all the rest of it almost as is, but have cut out that rock; i.e. a bit forward; a bit to the right, etc.

It's a very nice image, but I feel that big rock just jars a bit.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thank you for your kind comments.

I agree about the sunrise/sunset Tommy, St Loy faces due south, so Boscowen Point is to the east. However there is a problem that there are only two accesses to the cove, one by a very steep path from Boscanna Farm above, the other by a two/three mile hike across the cliffs on the coastal path from Lamorna Cove, neither of which I would relish doing in the dark.

Donald - I agree about the big rock and if I am lucky enough to get to St Loy on this trip I will re-shoot it. Not easy though to walk across the granite boulders but worth the effort I'm sure.