Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter Lane

Real Name
    Allan Short

Winter Lane

Took a drive a day after we finally got some snow, it was the kind that was just wet enough so that when it landed it stuck, with a little help from the temperature it was held in place. It was mostly overcast, however the sun came out late in the afternoon helping with this shot. Sure is nice to have help now and again.

Winter Lane

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Winter Lane

Wow! Beautiful shot Allan!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A classic winter scene. Beautiful lighting on it. Well done.

Real Name
    John

Nice, especially with the bit of color from the golden leaves.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I'll have to second Donald and John's opinions here the lighting is beautiful and the hint of color really makes this shot. Beautifully captured winter scene.

Great start Allan, hopefully some of that snow get down this way soon.

Ryo

Real Name
    Pierre

Here is a good chance for me to see if my monitor is off.
    I see a blue cast in the snow...do others see this at all.

BTW: with all of the potentials images to be made (guessing off to the sides of the image), I think your composition and yes, the lighting is very well done.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Yes there is a blue cast in the snow on the side of the road and woods, I increased the blue overall to help deepen the sky's blue. Often with good bright sun I at least see a blueish cast in the shadow areas. Glad that you and the rest like it, I stopped to shoot something else, then turned and saw this, it was better than what I first was shooting.

Allan

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    Here is a good chance for me to see if my monitor is off.
    I see a blue cast in the snow...do others see this at all.
    Allan, when I first saw this image early this morning it looked unnaturally blue to me but, as none of the earlier replies had mentioned it, I chose not to comment then. However, this post from Pierre has prompted me to write that there is probably nothing wrong with his monitor (as mine is OK), and that for me the additional blue is detracting from what is otherwise a very pleasant snow scene.

There should be a slight blue cast from the shadows, as the snow will reflect some of the blue of the sky. But in sunlight it will also reflect the warmer yellow tones and, in this image, these two effects seem out of balance to me. The image is enhanced by reducing the overall blue level, together with a gentle brightening of the foreground and slight darkening/saturating of the sky. Such changes also help to bring out the lovely gold and copper colours of those stubborn remaining leaves.

Just my opinion, of course.

Philip

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

If you have the ability to choose a white point when adjusting for hue, it will help some of the time to just try clicking on a spot you know to be white using the eyedropper tool (don't choose a spot you know or suspect to be over exposed). I f you like the result keep it; if not reverse the adjustment and no harm done.

Nice image. I really like the colourful leaves. So much so I might have tried to get more of the ones on the right hand tree. Maybe next time. You were the one present at the moment so I will leave it to your recollection and judgement if there was something you where cutting out on the right

Real Name
    Kathy

Allan, Love the picture! This may be a stupid question but did you add the hint of color to this photo? I took some "snow" photos and although I like them they come across a little drabish to me. If you added the color to this photo can you share wth me how you did it?? Again . . . beautiful photo!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kathy, I was very lucky that I looked around and saw that the sun was just perfect to to give me great light, that was 90% of the work. If you use Elements or CS you could add a coloured filter (blue) but only about 5-10% to give just a hint of tint. I use a program that lets me really pin-point a colour, than just lets me work that colour without affecting the surround colours (Viveza 2 from NIK works as a plug-in with both Elements and CS and some others). If you want to see what the orginal raw photo look like see the other post "Winter Lane (RAW photo), also if you want to copy it and have a go at it by all means go ahead. I hope that was of some help, and I am pleased that you like it.

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

Thanks for the response Allan, I use Lightroom 3 but just started to use it and haven't got the hang of using the filters yet, I have to find the time to play around!! Wish it would snow here again!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Allan, when I first saw this image early this morning it looked unnaturally blue to me but, as none of the earlier replies had mentioned it, I chose not to comment then. However, this post from Pierre has prompted me to write that there is probably nothing wrong with his monitor (as mine is OK), and that for me the additional blue is detracting from what is otherwise a very pleasant snow scene.

There should be a slight blue cast from the shadows, as the snow will reflect some of the blue of the sky. But in sunlight it will also reflect the warmer yellow tones and, in this image, these two effects seem out of balance to me. The image is enhanced by reducing the overall blue level, together with a gentle brightening of the foreground and slight darkening/saturating of the sky. Such changes also help to bring out the lovely gold and copper colours of those stubborn remaining leaves.

Just my opinion, of course.

Philip
    It's barely noticeable and only shows in the shadow area under the shrubs, as the entire scene (sky and midground treeline) also has a twinge of blue, the color cast in the foreground just adds another layer of the blue hue.