Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project 52 by Teresa (GaelicSea)

Real Name
    Teresa

Project 52 by Teresa (GaelicSea)

I have not been very happy with my photo results as of late. I feel very confident when I am taking the pictures but come home to lackluster images. The post-processing doesn't even seem to help. My goal is to get back on the horse and start taking pictures again. Then hopefully I will have something worthwhile to post by each week's end. I am also hopeful that perhaps the comments/suggestions can help me get to the next level.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

re: Project 52 by Teresa (GaelicSea)

Hello from Florida Teresa, happy holidays. Curious, is it that the pictures look great on your camera's LCD and not so much on your computer display? Are you shooting RAW?

Real Name
    Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Hello from Florida Teresa, happy holidays. Curious, is it that the pictures look great on your camera's LCD and not so much on your computer display? Are you shooting RAW?
    Hi Robert,
    sometimes the LCD image looks better...but not all the time. I tried shooting in RAW once...but wasn't sure what I was doing when I got back home. Maybe I will try it again and get some feedback.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by gaelicsea View Post
    Hi Robert,
    sometimes the LCD image looks better...but not all the time. I tried shooting in RAW once...but wasn't sure what I was doing when I got back home. Maybe I will try it again and get some feedback.
    Hi Teresa,

RAW is definitely the way to go if you want to get the most out of your post processing. There are a lot of people on here who are really good at it and will be able to help. From what I've learnt on here I've been amazed at what I can do with what initially appear to be lack lustre images.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Project 52 by Teresa (GaelicSea)

I have not been very happy with my photo results as of late. I feel very confident when I am taking the pictures but come home to lackluster images. The post-processing doesn't even seem to help. My goal is to get back on the horse and start taking pictures again. Then hopefully I will have something worthwhile to post by each week's end. I am also hopeful that perhaps the comments/suggestions can help me get to the next level.
    I know exactly how you feel Teresa, even though I am past jpg and well into the RAW stage.

I'm sure we can help you get to at least my level of disappointment

Real Name
    John

Hi Robert,
    If you have the capacity on your memory card shoot in RAW and jpeg, that way you have the instant gratification of seeing the image in the viewfinder and if it doesn't meet your standards once its displayed on the monitor or a print you can adjust the RAW file as needed.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Theresa, Sorry to hear your not getting the results you like, but I'm sure if you stick with the project you will see yourself improve very quickly. Looking forward to your progress

Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Hello out there TERESA are you still with us???? Looking forward to that first shot

Wendy

This is part of what concerned me about this challenge. A risk that some people, myself included, may start to think that 'my shots aren't as good as the average' so they are reluctant to post.

But this series should be about showing something of 'general interest' each week rather than having to produce a perfect photo each time.

And I often ditch 90% of my shots as soon as I see them more clearly at home. In fact I have now begun to recognise scenes which look fantastic in real life but I know won't reproduce well in a 2D photo. So I frequently look, think, then walk on. Plus, the current spell of UK dull and windy weather isn't exactly inspiring for outside shots.

While Raw can be useful, if you have a sufficient editing converter, it doesn't produce 'magical results' on it's own. It still comes down to correct editing.

A 'this didn't quite work out as planned' photo can be of more general interest to more people than one which is absolutely perfect; so do have a go and post something.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    This is part of what concerned me about this challenge. A risk that some people, myself included, may start to think that 'my shots aren't as good as the average' so they are reluctant to post.

But this series should be about showing something of 'general interest' each week rather than having to produce a perfect photo each time.
    I would like to think that everyone is going into this with the outlook of it being a learning project focused on everyone's collective input helping the greater good of learning not as a competition where it's purpose it to produce award winning images.

Real Name
    Dora B

A risk that some people, myself included, may start to think that 'my shots aren't as good as the average' so they are reluctant to post.
    Same think for me. I have no problem going out and taking pictures, but I'm always reluctant to post them.
    But this project gave me a boost

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by dulceza View Post
    I'm always reluctant to post them.
    Not everyone likes the pictures that I post but there is almost always someone out there that does and they are willing to help me improve. The neat part is that the folks here really want to see your pictures and where they can, help you to improve.

At this point I wouldn't worry about JPG verses RAW, just go out and have some fun, post, listen to the feedback, and look forward to seeing your technique improve along with your satisfaction!

Real Name
    Teresa

Wow...thank you everyone for those words of encouragement!!

Real Name
    Teresa

Week 1 - Winter's Pause

Project 52 by Teresa (GaelicSea)

After a week of sunny weather and 60 degree temperatures, I finally had a chance to go out and take some pictures today...just my luck...winter returned. Oh well...

I shot this in RAW and upped the exposure and saturation just a tad. I was happy with the composition but had a hard time with the sharpening as portions seemed sharper (the snow under the tree) than others (the red shrub in the center). The week is just about up...so this will have to do!!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Nice composition - the image has a cold and lonely emotional feel to it, which is good, particularly if that is the emotion you were trying to capture. For me, you have the sharpness just about right. At this size image the bench and what someone could see from sitting there are sharp. Objects further out in the image don't need to be too sharp as your mind will 'fill in the blanks' with the details if needed. Great start to the project!

I'm already looking forward to your next image!

Real Name
    Greg

That's a lovely shot Teresa.
    I like how you have framed the bench with the trees.
    A lonely park bench on a cold day evokes a feeling of solitude.
    Would love to see the same shot in summer.
    Greg

Real Name
    Mal

Nicely done Teresa. I feel like I just want to sit out on the bench and look out on the view from there. You've composed the phtoo very well.

Real Name
    Wendy

Very nice job Teresa and I cannot add anything to your own analysis. I think this is a great start. You have a good eye for compositon.

Wendy

Real Name
    Teresa

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Real Name
    Mark

Well don Teresa, just look at what i put up and youll feel lots better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast