Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 52 by Dave Humphries

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Project 52 by Dave Humphries

I will (think positive, Dave) use this to publish at least one decent photo per week this year.

I have a huge backlog of unprocessed shots going back to 2009

Further, I add to them most weeks, so I must break out of the habit of keeping them to myself as unprocessed RAWs on a HDD.

Beyond that, I'd like to tackle more people photography and put to use a few things I have acquired over the years; reflectors, macro focus rail, flash gun, tripod, monopod.

Also; I now carry a small P&S with me (almost everywhere), I just need to use it as the opportunities present themselves, and show the results.

I also need to buckle down and learn how to use CS5 properly.

Thanks,

EDIT; adding an index here;
    Week 1 Filling the coal scuttle.
    Week 2 The bridge at Henley
    Week 3 Water
    Week 4 Plane Moon
    Week 5 Squirrel
    Week 6 Snowy fields and fences
    Week 7 Ice and water
    Week 8 Bushey Park (ducks and deer)
    Week 9 Great Grey Owl (shooting at Birds of Prey flying displays)
    Week 10 Salford by Night (Canon S100 handheld night shoot)
    Week 11 Blue Tits (Making the most of bird feeder pics)
    Week 12 Heron by the Thames (too close to a busy background)
    Week 13 Swan fun
    Week 14 S100 Eton walkabout
    Week 15 Wood and Trees (Canon S100 in Black Park)
    Week 16 Kingfisher (Comparing the Nikon P510 @ 1000mm FFE vs the D5000 @ 450mm FFE)

Continuing the catch up in 2013, now in separate threads

Week 17 Shooting an informal gig in open air

Week 18 Seven Sisters Country Park

Tentatively ...
    Week 19 Woburn Safari Park
    Week 20 Bushey Park
    Week 21 Marsh Lane Swans
    Week 22 Chasewater Railway
    Week 23 Bray Lake
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th February 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Re: Project 52 by Dave Humphries

Dave, you said you wanted to break the habit of keeping them to yourself, but I dont see a photo.

Ryo

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    Dave, you said you wanted to break the habit of keeping them to yourself, but I dont see a photo.

Ryo
    Yes, Dave it's on the way RIGHT???

Wendy

Real Name

OK, OK

A people/person shot, done in ACR and CS5, where I used the lens profile distortion correction for only the second time (normally I wouldn't have bothered, as there were no obvious errors).

Filling the coal scuttle

Nikon D5000 + Nikon 18-200mm VR: 200mm, 1/60s, f/5.6, iso800 (214-44415)

A little cameo scene observed at a recent trip to the Mid-Hants Railway, Hampshire, UK. A Southern Railway (SR) employee filling the coal scuttle to feed the station's coal fires.

I am aiming for a period look (yes, I know it's colour), from memory, the SR existed between 1923 and 1948.

It was a dull day, as indicated by the exposure settings, there was significant subject movement blur, hence downsizing so small (700px from 3905px (after compositional cropping)) and fairly careful post downsize sharpening. So in many ways this is a 'rescue job'.

It was shot across platforms at Ropley station; see the line's gradient profile (pdf for train buffs). I was wide open at 200mm.

I had other shots taken at wider angles; 135mm and 170mm, but this one was the composition necessary to minimise 'out of time period' content - although he's wearing a modern watch and photochromic spectacles The building behind I can almost get away with, it should be timber, but isn't - hopefully not too obvious?

Things I got right:
    It didn't need to be leveled in PP; the concrete post and building behind are (good enough for me) vertical, the fence panel on left does slope downhill in real life.
    Exposure is good; there is a slight blow out on his shirt cuff

Things to improve next time:
    Use a higher iso to obtain a higher shutter speed and/or use a faster lens (ker-ching)

So, I think I've done fairly OK, but what have I missed?
    Do tell all, you know I rarely hold back on other's efforts

Thanks for viewing,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd January 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Hey Dave, you did a fine job of assessing your image. I see the blowout you're speaking of in the upper left of his cuff on the hand handling the coal. Very minor and would most likely be toned down fairly easy with a brush.
    As for the building not being timber, you could use a brush to soften the focus on the background between & above the fence posts to minamize this. Might actually make the gentleman stand out a bit more.
    Have you considered a high contrast B&W conversion or maybe even a sepia treatment? That might give you more of the period look you're after. Over all I like this shot. You did well to capture it in the lighting conditions you where in with the 18-200. How well would the D5000 hold up to ISO 1600? There really didn't seam to be any dark areas that would have created noise that PP couldn't handle.
    Last edited by Rob Douglas; 9th January 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Dave. I love the way the image tells a story. I'm not sure how close this is to the 'period' look you are aiming for but for options you could consider simplifying the background by continuing the green and brick behind the fence in place of the modern plywood that is there. I might be tempted to see what it looks like with the green and brick extending in both directions behind the fence. On the other hand, it's great composition just the way it is.

Real Name
    Mal

I like the story it tells as is but I think I'd be inclined to see what black and white versions look like - particularly if you're after an earlier period look.

Oddly enough, the most distracting thing for me was the weed in the bottom of the image - has something to do with my father's training of me in the garden

Real Name
    Wendy

Great shot Dave and thanks for including the details of the shoot and the exif. That is very helpful. I will try to do that with mine also. Knowing that I am going to post the shooting details will help to force me to slow down and think about the shot. That's a project in itself.

I'm wondering if toning down the green a little bit might help with the "period" look that you want. The reason I say this is because I don't think the paints back in those days were quite as vibrant as what we have now. Just a thought.

In Lightroom there is an "Antique Light" preset. I gave it a go on this shot. It needed a bit of tweaking, BUT when finished this shot looked like it could have come from my Grandma's photo album. You have really managed to capture the period, it's just the colour that gives it away. I really think you should try converting to B&W or sepia tones with a bit of a vignette. All the modern giveaways disappear.

If you are set on keeping the colour, I'm wondering if just a teensy bit of fill light might be in order. It might just be my screen but the mans suit seems just a little dark and the creases seem flat. I was also wondering if you are set on keeping the points on the picket fence and the horizontal bit of walkway at the front. Maybe it would be too tight a crop, but they are 2 extra things in the shot that draw attention and I'm not sure they need to be there.

Great start, and thanks again for the description and thought process on the shot.

Wendy

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    Hey Dave, you did a fine job of assessing you image. I see the blowout you're speaking of in the upper left of his cuff on the hand handling the coal. Very minor and would most likely be toned down fairly easy with a brush.
    As for the building not being timber, you could use a brush to soften the focus on the background between & above the fence posts to minamize this. Might actually make the gentleman stand out a bit more.
    Have you considered a high contrast B&W conversion or maybe even a sepia treatment? That might give you more of the period look you're after. Over all I like this shot. You did well to capture it in the lighting conditions you where in with the 18-200. How well would the D5000 hold up to ISO 1600? There really didn't seam to be any dark areas that would have created noise that PP couldn't handle.
    Hi Rob,

Good idea on the blurring of the green building. The cuff has already been toned down a bit, I don't think it is quite in the clippers anymore. I did wonder about a B&W as I was typing the aim bit of post above
    The D5000 would have been ok at iso1600, so yes, that's what I should have used.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi
    ~ you could consider simplifying the background by continuing the green and brick behind the fence in place of the modern plywood that is there. I might be tempted to see what it looks like with the green and brick extending in both directions behind the fence.
    Hi Frank,

I did consider trying to do something with the plywood (etc.) areas, but decided it was too difficult for the benefit (as I perceived it), perhaps I shouldn't have given up so easily

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer
    Oddly enough, the most distracting thing for me was the weed in the bottom of the image
    You're spot on Malcolm; no self respecting station master of the time would have let a weed survive on the platform like this - see I knew I'd missed some things (see above also).

I had already spent some time cloning out some bright green nylon string tying back the rose bush to the fence and removing several stones from the foreground tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR
    I'm wondering if toning down the green a little bit might help with the "period" look that you want. The reason I say this is because I don't think the paints back in those days were quite as vibrant as what we have now.
    Hi Wendy,

You may well have a point here.

In Lightroom there is an "Antique Light" preset
    Don't think I have it in ACR/CS5, would that be part of a mono conversion?

If you are set on keeping the colour, I'm wondering if just a teensy bit of fill light might be in order. It might just be my screen but the mans suit seems just a little dark and the creases seem flat.
    I didn't think I had a problem with the uniform (it is black), but on closer inspection, it does seem there's a gaping void in his chest area. For me, the folds in the nearest sleeve and trouser leg look fine, the other side less so.

It is possible I lost some detail in a small (7%) LCE I applied later in processing.

I was also wondering if you are set on keeping the points on the picket fence and the horizontal bit of walkway at the front. Maybe it would be too tight a crop, but they are 2 extra things in the shot that draw attention and I'm not sure they need to be there.
    I did consider cropping them off, but thought the top of the fence was significant enough to include and that the foreground gave it depth and the context of being on the platform, but I agree (having tried in browser with scroll), it does simplify the shot.

Great start, and thanks again for the description and thought process on the shot.
    Thanks, giving that enabled us (all) to get straight to the areas I had overlooked and/or under estimated.

My thanks to Rob, Frank, Malcom and Wendy, I'll definitely give a mono version some thought; it'll avoid some of the points above and possibly make others easier to do.

Cheers,

Real Name

Some more things listed that I must do this year in this Project;

Focus stack macro image
    Focus stack non-macro image
    Lateral image stacking (aka Panorama) shots
    HDR of some kind (I guess it's only "exposure stacking" (and tone mapping))
    Image stacking to reduce noise/lengthen exposure
    Read my CS5 books and learn to use it better!
    Get the hang of opening and closing the 5 in 1 reflectors
    Start using the old s/h flash guns I have
    Use my tripod and monopod

Learn to use my tiny new Canon S100 as easily as I do the Nikon D5000 (at the moment I can't figure out some things

Experiment with wider angle shots; the Canon goes a bit wider than the D5000 does (24mm vs 28mm (equiv.)), but I could always get a new lens for the D5000

I'll add to this as new ideas come to mind.

Please don't nag me too soon, I have the whole year but do make sure I 'get the set' by December - thank you.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Wendy

You're going to be a busy guy. I do hope you get around to them all though, because I'd love to learn all of that stuff and who better to teach me (an the rest of us)

Wendy

Real Name

This is a picture I had in my head before I got there - I was on the sunny side and I could see the sun streaming through the arches and wanted to get the shot from the far side. For once, being so timely, I wanted to produce it for this week.

The bridge at Henley

Nikon D5000 + Nikon 18-200mm VR: 32mm, 1/750s, f/8, iso400 (216-45594)
    F11 and click image to see at 1,586px × 1,000px

However, it is nothing unusual, not very challenging (compared to what other's have done), so I must try harder next week - and not leave it until 'the 11th hour' on the 7th day

PP consisted of a minimal crop, I don't think it needs straightening, several things are vertical that should be, but I have a nagging doubt it is too low on the left. There was the head of a street lamp just poking into the left hand edge of frame by the trees, so I took that out.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions; for example, I am unsure whether to clone out the flag pole and the adjacent ironwork motif, it looks like it is part of the bridge, but is actually on a building behind it. Problem is, anyone that knows the area may wonder where they are.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think this is a very well constructed and created image. In addition to it's pleasantness, the fact that it is the product of a planned shoot would give me enormous satisfaction.

I don't see anything to suggest that it is low on the left.

As to .........

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ..........I am unsure whether to clone out the flag pole and the adjacent ironwork motif,
    That was my first question.

As I've made clear on here before, I have no issue with cloning to enhance an image, so long as it doesn't alter the essential character of the image. And to do so with this one, would not do that. However, that flagpole and flag are obviously part of that view. To take them out would be falsifying a fundamental part of that view. Now, does that really matter? Mmm. A good point for discussion and debate.

I'd tend to leave it there.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

I think it is very well done. I would not clone out the flag pole. Make me want to go and sit look at until the sun goes down.

Real Name
    Wendy

Nice one Dave, love the way the light shines under the bridge. Regarding the cloning, I think because you mentioned the name of the bridge the flagpole and ironwork should stay. If on the other hand you are just posting a picture of a bridge - well then in my mind anything goes and you can do what you want with it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Mal

That light under the bridge does it for me as well. In fact, the entire image underneath the bridge railing looks fantastic - almost magical the way the light is reflecting off surfaces. It's almost as if the top part of the image should be somewhere else completely.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Dave! As it looks like you've achieved your goal exceedingly well, I'd be very tempted to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Neither the flag nor the ironwork negatively impact the image in my view. In fact, I like the fact that the flag is showing a touch of realistic action to an almost static scene. Very nicely done!

Real Name
    Peter

I like the shot Dave. Nice to see that sunlight coming through the arches. I would have liked less water I think. There is a lot of it at the underside and it doesn't really appeal to me.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

It's a very nice photo. I actually like the expanse of water below; it evokes memories of when I walked along the cold Thames in winter on my way to work. The flagpole doesn't bother me and I tend to favour leaving in landmarks; the real attraction of the photo is the light under the bridge, with secondary ones being the water, house and sky.

Tony

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Very well composed. The lighting is fantastic. As for the cloning it's a personal preference which I don't feel distracted by personally. Great work Dave.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast