Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I attempted some bird photography recently........this was one of the photos

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

I attempted some bird photography recently........this was one of the photos

[IMG]I attempted some bird photography recently........this was one of the photos[/IMG]

Its "Stone Plover" at Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Mysore, India......taken on Nikon D 90....with F 7.1 and Shutter Speed 1/800 at ISO 200
    Last edited by jeechu1970; 1st January 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: To include exposure details

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: I attempted some bird photography recently........this was one of the photos

Great looking bird.

Perhaps try to keep the bird intact unless you going for portraits of particular parts of a bird.

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Re: I attempted some bird photography recently........this was one of the photos

Thanks Bobo...........what u said is right........I had another photo of the same bird......hope this is fine......

[IMG]I attempted some bird photography recently........this was one of the photos[/IMG]

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Girish,

That's not bad at all, ideally we'd like to see the whole bird, feet too though.
    UPDATE; I see from second photo the feet were not visible, but it is better to see why.

It isn't as sharp as it might be, but that's a Post Processing and hosting problem, not something wrong with the capture.

Let me elaborate; because you do not appear to have downsized and sharpened it before uploading to TinyPic, they chopped it down to 1599 x 1062px without sharpening. Additionally, that height (1062px), is still bigger than fits on most people's screens, so their browser, even with the Lytebox view, is going to reduce it some more (again without sharpening), hence you're not getting the best end-to-end viewing experience possible. If you click the image, then use the "f" key on keyboard, it will expand to actual size, then we can see the eye is nice and sharp, but (probably due to narrow DoF), the bill and tail are not so sharp. With suitable downsizing and sharpening, this can be improved.

If you have the fullsize (4288 x 2848px) image open in your editor (which one?);
    Downsize to say 900px tall, using "Bicubic" and tick Constrain Proportions (so aspect ratio doesn't change)
    Apply some USM (Filter > Sharpen > UnSharp Mask in PS or Image > Enhance > UnSharp Mask in Elements) using an Amount of 100%, a radius of 0.3px and a threshold of 0 (as this is a clean 200 iso shot)
    Save As a jpg; at quality 9 (or 75%)
    Upload that to TinyPic

The shot looks fairly well exposed, looking at this jpg histogram; the blacks might stand a little Fill Light (an ACR term) to get some detail in the darker areas of bill and plumage.

This is a good start, I like both compositions, well done,

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Thank you Dave...I am very thankful for a nice review and giving advice as to how to improve the photograph. I.am very new to digital photography, especially the post processing......am yet to learn the techniques you have mentioned......will certainly update my skill on the processing and try to get better results.......the photo i have posted is very raw with just little processing to increase the contrasts.....nothing more.......thanks for encouraging...

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Helo Dave........I have carried out the corrections suggested by you above.....and the result is here.....have i done it right...please advice