Objects

Objects

Objects

Objects

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Objects

Hi Brigitte,

My, how you've been busy in the courtyard!

I have to say I do prefer the flower series to these although I do applaud your desire to try something different, especially as this type of shooting is actually quite a lot more challenging.

Given that you've posted here for constructive feedback, I hope you find my comments helpful.

#1 is my favourite, but I feel it might be improved if it had less in it, or at least with the terracotta statue on the right hand side (looking left), rather than where it is, looking out of frame. The exposure is a little 'over' on the duck, it might be worth bracketing (i.e. shooting a stop above and below what the camera says, in case it gets it wrong for tricky lighting situations like this).

In #2, there are a couple of things that I find a distraction; the doorway in the background and the tree above the furthest chair. I am also not sure that the chairs arranged in an outward facing arc looks natural. You wouldn't use them like that because no-one would be able to easily see each other to converse.

#3 is a far simpler shot, but for me is spoilt by the discordant angles (maybe that was intentional); the camera is not straight-on to either the wall or the bench, and the bench isn't parallel to the wall.

Sorry that's not as positive as I'd like and as I said at the start, well done for trying something different and please don't give up! We have a saying; "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again", a good motto for all things, but especially photography. Also bear in mind that I am certainly no artistic expert and all of the above maybe rubbish.

If I have one piece of advice for a second go, it would be to try some smaller objects, so you can get closer to them and in the process, separate the subjects from the background more.

Hope that helps,

Thanks a lot for take time to reply and your helpful comments.
    Now I see the photos in a different way. Okay, these shots are rubbish.
    For the first shot I use the wrong an angle.
    Unfortunately, the Terracotta-Statue stood on a private property,
    so I was not able to get near enough to the object. And there was a half-high fence before the house.

Yes, it is correctly the door disturb the benches. The tree maybe less, but the door dominates here.

I have take the photo from the bench in stand. Yes, it is not in a line.
    Stupid me!

I will take more care. There are a lot of things which are to notice
    by photography.
    Thank you very much again for your encouragement and feedback.

regards,
    Brigitte
    Last edited by Brigitte; 19th May 2009 at 07:49 AM.

What you you think about these photos:

Objects

Objects

regards,
    Brigitte

Real Name

Hi Brigitte,

Unfortunately, the Terracotta-Statue stood on a private property,
    so I was not able to get near enough to the object. And there was a half-high fence before the house.
    Ah, sorry, completely wrong assumption on my part, I thought these were shot in the courtyard of your apartment building and you'd been able to arrnge things for photography, as that's not the case, much of what I said doesn't really apply as you had no control. For shots 'over a fence', you obviously have to make do with what you are given.

I'll just extract my foot from my mouth

Are you sure you want my opinion on the next two?

Whoops,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Brigitte,

Ah, sorry, completely wrong assumption on my part, I thought these were shot in the courtyard of your apartment building and you'd been able to arrnge things for photography, as that's not the case, much of what I said doesn't really apply as you had no control. For shots 'over a fence', you obviously have to make do with what you are given.

I'll just extract my foot from my mouth

Are you sure you want my opinion on the next two?

Whoops,

Dear Dave!

Yes of course. I wan´t your opinion...
    I appreciate your thoughts
    It´s important to get some feedback, especially for a beginner.

regards,
    Brigitte

Here a shot from today:

Objects

Wall-Painting

Objects

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    What you you think about these photos:
    Dear Brigitte,

You may wish you hadn't asked me!
    I'm gonna be honest because the alternative doesn't help anyone.

#1 is technically fine; nice exposure, etc. but I think a few degrees of clockwise twist would straighten it up, I'm not just judging this by the timber at the top, as that could well slope for all I know.

#2 is again a reasonable shot, the clouds are a little blown (over exposed), but that's almost impossible to avoid with a compact camera and the limited dynamic range DR they have. Apart from this it's fine, except ..

Unfortunately I find both shots are lacking a true, attention holding subject. If there were a person or couple wandering along the path, or sitting on the bench in #1, or something in the field in #2 (cow? tractor? person? - I'm not sure), it would make them better photos.

All I can say is don't be disheartened or give up, keep trying and it'll come to you. You can already take a decent flower or cat picture, so the rest will come with practice and feedback.

What can I say that might help more? Hmmm, I know; take your time, study the subject more before taking the picture, work out what's missing and either find something, move around more, or wait for someone or something to happen along and take the picture when they/it gets to the optimal compositional point.

I think I have developed far more recently because I'm spending hours out with the camera. However, as it happens, for a variety of reasons, I have yet to post much of the latest stuff here, so perhaps I'd better not say that or I may be in for a rude surprise.

I do hope that helps you, but tell me to shut up if you like