Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D

Real Name
    Malcolm

Canon 7D

There is a lot of promotion of the Canon 7D at present; probably because it is one of Canon's newest products. However, has anyone bought one and why did you buy it? Has it lived up to expectation and why did you choose it over other Canon's currently on offer. I have looked at its spec, but that is as far as I have gone.

Re: Canon 7D

Well Malcolm, my tale goes back to this thread when my 40D died. Error 99 on 40D

Thereafter, I had to make a decision. I didn't really want a 60D after trying one which a friend had purchased. Nothing seriously wrong with that model; but coming from a 40D it felt more like a 600D in many ways, and I wanted something like I had been using.

I was seriously considering one of the few remaining 'unused' 50D's and then started comparing prices, including the 7D.

After a bit of a search around I discovered a Gibraltar based company called Big George which had the 7D on special offer; which worked out at £900 delivered and with a 16GB cf card. So that's what I purchased. Standard delivery was a little slow but I suspect that was the carrier's fault. Probably just one of those problems which occur when you live in a small out of the way town.

Anyway, let's return to the 7D. I was concerned about reports from some people about it being complicated to use. And I agree that if you opt for all the possible settings this might be the case.

However, by shooting Raw and turning off everything which I didn't really need it has come back to something very similar to my trusty 40D. But with a few improvements, like better and faster autofocus. Plus a massive number of pixels, which is far above what most people would ever need, unless you print at A2.

And this also results in massive file sizes, which can be over 250 Mb for a standard Raw converted to Tiff. But I will probably find these extra pixels useful when photographing insects or birds and need to do a substantial amount of cropping. Yes, I know I can reduce the file size when saving; which is what I do sometimes.

So to sum up. So far, I have found it to be an excellent camera without any problems.

Ask again if you have any specific questions.

Real Name
    David Donnelly

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience with this camera. I was wondering if you've had any time in a studio with it? The reason I ask is that I am in the market for a new camera for work and have been considering this model and was wondering how it performs in this type of setting.

No, David, the most I've come to studio work is this, Does this work OK?

Which is probably a long way from what you mean.

However, I wouldn't see any problems, providing you want a crop sensor camera.

Real Name
    Richard

I liked my 30D amd used it in combination with a 40D. With top-line glass, it did a creditable job, however I far preferred my 40D because of slightly better focus and other advantages such as the three User Selected Modes which I took advantage of consistantly. Since I always shoot with a pair of cameras, I had an older 10D as a backup. The 10D was a bit dated and could not use EFS lenses so when my dog pulled it off a table by its strap, I decided not to fix it but, to get a new camera.

I also considered a used 40D and a new 50D but, I was able to nab a 7D at a decent price and took advantage of that. I did not consider the 60D because it almost seems like a watered down 50D with video capabilty.

I absolutely love the 7D and wish that I was shooting with two of them. The focus is great and there are other wonderful bells and whistles such as the Quick Control Menu Button. The 7D retains the three User Selected Modes which I love (the 50D and 60D reduced the number of these mode selections).

I don't normally use the video capability of the 7D but learned that by shooting in the lowest resolution I can use the video to identify my still images. I worked with several models at a shoot and had each lady repeat her name and email address on video. That way, I had the model's name and email linked to the still images.

I use the 7D along with a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket with a Canon 550EX modified by a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro for model work and really love the setup. Here are a couple of images as well as a link to my portrait gallery: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Portraits...581153_fXNCtJ9

Canon 7D

Canon 7D

Canon 7D

Real Name
    Malcolm

Richard, Thanks for your reply. I take from your reply that the 7D is worth a further look and perhaps trying one out. I was interested that you went that way rather than the 50D which many rate. Like the pics. The 70-200mm L is some lens

Real Name
    Mark

I got the 7D to replace my 500D which was stolen in May. It was always going to be a 60D, 7D or 5D but the features of the 7D vs the 60D and the 7D price vs the 5D meant the 7D won out.

I've just upgraded from my 450D to the 7D and I am very impressed. The 450D wasnt a bad camera but the 7D is streets ahead in the focusing department: it inspires confidence that the shot is going to be right. And on the ergonomic front everything is literally at your finger tips with options for how you want to set things up.

A couple of fellow Canon users I've shown it to have remarked how solid in operation it feels in comparison with their xxxD's.

A friend's Nikon 300s impressed me but I'm probably more inclined to the Canon way of doing things.

Real Name
    Steve

I just noticed second hand ones appear to have a button missing and cost £930, while new ones cost £1,099 with everything, warranty, tax, delivery and that button.

I haven't got one, but I could get one part exchange. The thing I like about the 7D apart from hi-res which some scoff at; is the autofocus. The only auto thing I use on my 50D is the focus.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Malcgeorge View Post
    Richard, Thanks for your reply. I take from your reply that the 7D is worth a further look and perhaps trying one out. I was interested that you went that way rather than the 50D which many rate. Like the pics. The 70-200mm L is some lens
    I did somewhat consider the 50D but, never really thought (for my use) that the 50D was a great enough improvement over the 40D. I seriously considered a second used 40D but, didn't want to take a chance on a used model which was getting a bit old. I was able to nab a 7D through the Canon Loyalty Program at quite a decent price.

I never considered a either a 5D Classic or a 5Dii because I am absolutely in love with my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and IMO, there is no EF lens to match it. I also consider the quality imagery that I achieve with the 1.6x format and top-line lenses to be excellent and totally adequate for all my needs,.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

I bought a 7D last July after five months of research. I narrowed to between the 7D and the 5D MK II. Chose the 7D because most of my photography is outdoors (wildlife/surfing shots). The 7D is easy to master, fires like a machine gun using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB card, and takes great photos when used with "L" glass. Here are a few examples:

Canon 7D
    Canon 7D
    Canon 7D

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Malcgeorge View Post
    There is a lot of promotion of the Canon 7D at present; probably because it is one of Canon's newest products. ...
    Minor sidenote, but actually, the 7D is one of the older cameras in the current Canon lineup. It's been in the lineup for two and a half years.

See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...n_DSLR_cameras

Only the 5Dii has been current for a longer period of time (three and a half years).

PMA is being held in Las Vegas next week. This is a camera electronics tradeshow. It's normally held a little later in Feb/March, but they're combining it with CES (Consumer Electronics Show). And it's (traditionally) one of the times when camera product announcements get made (the other one is in the fall; Photokina in even-numbered years). Given the recent deals that can be found on a 5Dii and 7D, speculation is rife about which models are going to be updated this time around. Not to mention that the announcement of the 1DX, where the pro full frame and 1.3 crop bodies are now merged into a single full frame camera makes some folks wonder how the "shadow" prosumer lines are going to move forward, or if they'll be reformed into a single full frame camera as well.

Maybe nothing will be announced. But when a camera dips in price like this, chances are good it's getting near the end of its product lifecycle and something shinier may be just around the bend.

Real Name
    Alex

Good point Kathy. However something shinier will be more expensive.

Who knows, the 7d mark ii may have so many mega pixels it speckles all the images with noise, or a seriously increased spec and price to satisfy bird shooters out there with f8 autofocus. Or no real change but just a face lift.

A good rule is to buy what you need now and don't wait for what may come out in the future. The fact that you can enjoy the equipment right away is the reward. The fact that you get a good price is even better.

Besides newer cameras do not make better photographers. (I can't believe I just said that. I love new cameras.) Just take a look at 500px, Flickr, etc, and see what cameras have been used to generate the images you like.

Buy a 7d now and start loving it.

Alex

Real Name
    Bobo

The 7D is a great camera particularly for action photography.

That said, it is a bit dated and there are certain small things which makes me hesitate about upgrading from my 550D.

The main one is its fixed and less the stellar LCD - makes it pretty awkward for shooting from low positions.

The other thing that has been mentioned to me by a couple of bird photographers - its servo function is somewhat defective forcing them to switch to using AI Focus instead.

So if a version 2 comes out with just those 2 fixes I am getting one.

Real Name
    Liz

Reading this with interest all my Photo Gurus. I just ordered my camera, and it has been a very long wait. I was going to get the 60D, but no one and I do mean NO ONE has them. Maybe Christmas wiped them all out, or some extreme weather where they are made...I have no idea. For me, I asked tons of questions on this forum of all the Obi Juans about it. They all said glass is most important, and you can do a little less on the body. I am an amateur, wanting to get lots and lots better. All I could get this week was the 7D. So...that is what I ordered...just today. That, a 24-105 lens, and a Tamron telephoto for temporary until I can afford a better one. I am going on a vacation to the ocean next Weds and need instant gratification, so was not willing to wait for the 60D to come in at some unknown time. I can't wait to get it, and use it and learn lots and lots. I am also going to take a class at the local college in the spring. I appreciate all the great input that everyone on this site gave me over the past few months. I will have my new camera by Friday!

Hi Liz,
    I love my 7D, upgraded from a 350D 2yrs ago, struggled a little in the beginning, but all very familiar and comfortable now,
    great for all types of photography, have never been disappointed, not a light camera but is very solid.
    I also use the 24-105L lens as my everyday walk around lens, it is excellent.
    I don't think you will be disappointed in your choice.

Enjoy
    Cheers

Real Name
    Liz

Got my Tamron lens today in the mail as well as batteries and charger. This is better than Christmas! Can't wait till the rest comes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Stanford View Post
    Hi Liz,
    I love my 7D, upgraded from a 350D 2yrs ago, struggled a little in the beginning, but all very familiar and comfortable now,
    great for all types of photography, have never been disappointed, not a light camera but is very solid.
    I also use the 24-105L lens as my everyday walk around lens, it is excellent.
    I don't think you will be disappointed in your choice.

Enjoy
    Cheers

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by lizzy310 View Post
    Got my Tamron lens today in the mail as well as batteries and charger. This is better than Christmas! Can't wait till the rest comes!
    You lucky person. Now all you need is the 7D to fix it onto. I'm sure you will love it all. Don't forget there will be a user manual with the 7D. It's not there just for packing. Take it on vacation and devour it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Don't forget there will be a user manual with the 7D. It's not there just for packing. Take it on vacation and devour it.
    Well I know that I got a cheap deal on my 7D, but the instruction manual wasn't included. Fortunately some helpful people on this site gave me a link to a downloadable version.

But a word of warning about the 7D. It isn't idiot proof, as I discovered today.

Went out in my dinghy for some more shots of the boats fishing for scallops when a heron flew right over me and really close. I had a 70-200 lens so though it would work OK.

Just right for Project 52 - Week 3.

Quickly picked up the camera, turned on the On Switch but couldn't get a focus; or anything.

Too late, I had a closer look and discovered that the little On/Off Switch, with rounded corners, that 'hides' behind the top control knob is difficult to operate with wet cold fingers.

My finger simply slid over the switch instead of sliding it to the On position.

So yet another prizewinning photo slipped through my grasp!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Well I know that I got a cheap deal on my 7D, but the instruction manual wasn't included. Fortunately some helpful people on this site gave me a link to a downloadable version.
    Shows how out-of-date I am - I last bought a camera in the good old days (3 years ago) when they gave you a copy in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    So yet another prizewinning photo slipped through my grasp!
    But you'll be more than ready the next time, Geoff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast