Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: cold sea

cold sea

needs a lot of passion to love the sea in similar condition: cold, "dirty" and shaked water, but not enough to create a very good wave. To make it worse, freezing and hazy air.
    anyway I do like sea and many kind of sports, either practicing or photographing them!
    a few days ago I went out without the best conditions but I enjoyed it and I captured something to don't throw in the recycle bin... what's your opinion?
    thanks for viewing and commenting
    ciao
    Nicola

cold sea

cold sea

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: cold sea

Hi Nicola! I really like the way the clouds and surf create angles that complement each other in the first image! I don't think the gloomy mood enhances the second image as much. I think it might look better if it had more color tone 'pop', particularly in the surfer. Nice shots! Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Mal

Your first image held my attention for a long time I found that the white wash, shoreline, and horizon drew your eyes out into the distance where you notice the surfers in the water. Then, the lines from the clouds above draw you over to the right back to the mountain range and town with the people in the background.

Two thoughts on the first image - firstly, given the mood you're trying to portray and the absence of bright colours standing out, have you thought about a black and white? Secondly, I had the sense that there was a bit too much of the ocean in the foreground. Landscapes aren't my thing but I wonder if it would work a bit better with a bit less white wash in the foreground to grab your attention.

I love the composition of the second one. It seems a touch under exposed to me though. Given the surfer appears to be the subject of the photo would exposing it to show a bit more detail of the surfer along with cropping a little tighter to emphasise him a bit more work?

Frank, Malcolm, Thanks a lot!
    you are right, the #2 has an issue on light: the surfer is too dark to show some details/colours or to bright to be a silouette...
    and I have to taste the first cropped a bit at bottom
    thanks again, I've to work on these
    cheers
    Nicola

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    The first shot is very impressive. The second shot IMO would look better with a crop off the left and top to get rid of the object on the shoreline (upper left corner) which I feel is distracting.