Brooding

3 from today
    Brooding

Brooding

Brooding

Thoughts and comments are more than welcome

Ryo

Re: Brooding

I find the overall composition to be fine, Ryo, except for that little bit of foliage, or whatever it is, in the bottom right corner. I would clone it out.

However, I do find these shots to be a little lacking in 'pop' even for a dull day scene. I would try just a little more contrast and/or saturation. But be careful, it will be easy to accidentally over expose the highlights in the sky; and excessive saturation could appear over processed.

Thats kinda funny. Here are the Originals, as you can see I desaturated. Sometimes editing escapes me....

Brooding

Brooding

Brooding

Ryo

Geoff, thanks for the input, I looked at the photos and saw a dark feeling, so my editing followed with the feel. It is a cloudy but light day here. So I surmise that my mood dictated my editing....

I suspect you may still be able to add a little darkening to the clouds, particularly if you use a mask to feather the effect.

And a full B&W may be worth a try.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Agreed. A full B&W is in order! The muted desaturation is missing something and the color shots lack some punch.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    ....as you can see I desaturated. Sometimes editing escapes me....
    ....I looked at the photos and saw a dark feeling, so my editing followed with the feel. It is a cloudy but light day here. So I surmise that my mood dictated my editing....
    In this regard, commentary will always be problematic, as different viewers see and feel things differently. The photos suggest to me a bright, breezy, lively sort of day, so in my view the scene would probably be more like this example edit -

Brooding

Philip

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    In this regard, commentary will always be problematic, as different viewers see and feel things differently.
    I think Philip's got that absolutely right, because I like the originals. I can see the thinking in the second shot (the field, the trees and the sky), but I'm now sure it has enough of a clear focal point around which the rest of the image can hang. But I do think the mood and atmosphere created in the original version is good.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th December 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks for the comments, it would seem there are many valid views on how to edit these. Took some time and did a BW here is the results:

Brooding

Ryo

Yes, that works well.