Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset

Real Name
    Bobo

Sunset

Had not touched the camera for like 6 weeks - as we age even colds/flus take ages to fix.

Decided to go to the nearby wooded area for some engine tuning and came upon this scene which I thought was quite nice at the time. Particularly the play of light on the twigs which sort of looked like a spider's web from a distance.

Now I think it is too dark, too busy, not very interesting.

Recycle bin ??

As always all comments (good and bad, especially the latter) are appreciated.

Sunset

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Sunset

I quite like it Bobo, but I'm not so sure about the format. The two main trees seem too central. I wonder about cropping most of the left off to just to the left of the main tree trunk???? To my eye that kind of leaves a path of light into the woods. Hope someone else comments. I struggle with composing this kind of thing, but I do like the sparkling light patterns in the dark trees. I'd keep it. Might be one of those shots that you have to be in a certain kind of mood to appreciate.

Wendy

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Wendy.

Like this?

Sunset

I think the first one works better but cropped to keep the eye from straying, like this:

Sunset

Ryo

Might be able to go tighter on the original but its a great shot.
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 28th December 2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: might

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Ryo - that is a great edit.

Yes the pic is much much larger.

Maybe the shooting position has something to do with this. Maybe from the side of the big trunk on the right would have got a better angle on the light.

If it is worth keeping can try a re-shoot tomorrow.

Sunset

Real Name
    Wendy

Yup, what Ryo did, that's what I was thinking. Bobo I think your edit is too tight. I might like to see Ryo's edit with the extra bit at the top though??? Not sure how I feel about including the bright spot. I didn't like it (the bright spot) at all when I first looked at it, but not so bad when viewed in the lyte box.
    I think Ryo's edit is pretty much the way I would do it. It's a very moody shot and I really like it. I've seen and tried this kind of scene myself, and it's not so easy to keep that sparkle without having everything else going way too dark. I think you've done a great job on this one. If it was larger I can imagine walking right into it.

Wendy

Keep that Frame it is awesome, the path of the sun light, and the web like branches really adds to the interest. I am never good at explaining what I see in a photo, not the way Wendy is. But here are some thoughts, the whole pic no cropping works perfect. As the sun keeps you focused on the center and as your eyes wonder they follow the light path down the branches and anchor on the leaf. In your second picture the sun is the focus and my eyes never wonder, so you lose the branches. My Edit just used the light line and keeps my eyes wondering up and down those wonderful web like branches.

Ryo

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks again Wendy - looks like a reshoot is in order.

Just have to be better dressed - was not all that well prepared for the biting cold breeze or would have spent more time there.

Thanks again Ryo - I get what you mean. Have never been good with scenic shots but will keep on plugging at it.

Real Name
    Wendy

May the light be with you Look forward to seeing the results

Wendy

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks - will do for sure.

Fully equipped and dressed of course (is now much much colder + a bit of snow).

In summers the vegetation is too dense to walk through. In winters the nude spindly trees get in the way.

BTW - your recent tree shots in the comps have been awesome.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 28th December 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Had not touched the camera for like 6 weeks - as we age even colds/flus take ages to fix.

Yes, exactly a year ago I surrendered with a nasty touch of flu and it was over 6 weeks before I started feeling anything like fit.

Since then I have been taking zinc tablets (which are supposed to improve the immune system) and, although I can't prove any advantage, I haven't had any colds etc since. A couple of times I felt like there was an infection around but managed to prevent it from developing.

Anyway, back to the photos. My first thought was a crop similar to those previously mentioned. Ideally, I would have liked to include just a little more space to the left of the main tree; but I see there is a bit of poorly focused branch in the way.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Geoff.

Zinc eh? The common theory is Vitamin 2000mg Vitamin C. Fat good that has done me though.

-----

A friend who saw this gave it a name - "Gateway to the World of Photography". LOL

Real Name
    John

It looks like an end of evening shot and those golden flecks of light are what always catches my eye.
    This is a shot about your personal artistic views, keep it for your own reasons.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks John.

Since someone gave it that awesome name - I am keeping it.

Real Name
    Steve

I think this would look alot better, if you include the base of the the trees in the foreground. Even if it takes shooting a 2 shot pano, to fit it all in.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Steve - one more idea to work on for the re-shoot.

Weather has been not that great so will have to wait a bit.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Wendy.

Like this?

Sunset
    I like this one bobo.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Ryo - that is a great edit.

Yes the pic is much much larger.

Maybe the shooting position has something to do with this. Maybe from the side of the big trunk on the right would have got a better angle on the light.

If it is worth keeping can try a re-shoot tomorrow.

Sunset
    I also like this one too.

Real Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    I like this one bobo.
    I also like the portrait version. The small leaf in the corner is a real catch for the eye. I tried covering it up but the image looks weaker with no focal point. The light rays from the sun fall through the woods onto the leaf. Maybe a little bit more space around the bottom left would help balance the photo between the sun and the leaf.

Alex

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Rob and Herbert.

The one in post #5 is the original uncropped version. Not much more space there.

I have this piece of paper for recording all the wonderful suggestions. As soon as the weather clears up (snowing atm) will do the reshoot. Only worry is the carpet of snow that will have replace the leaves on the ground. But snow covered is worth a try, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast