Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Caterpillar into a butterfly...

Real Name
    Richard

Caterpillar into a butterfly...

Well, not exactly a caterpillar or a butterfly either but, a somewhat similar transformation. This is Toby, a seven-month old Maltese whom we rescued from the San Diego County Animal Shelter yesterday. He is basically healthy but, he was really ragged and filthy. He reeked of urine and feces. We like to take arrival pictures of our rescue dogs to get a baseline to see their improvement with TLC.

It took two baths to get him clean and them a quick trim job completed the transformation. Here is Toby two hours after he arrived at our house.

Toby will have a Merry Christmas at our house while he is waiting to be adopted into his forever home. He is a friendly little guy and knows his basic commands. We even think that he is at least partially housetrained.

We have had 34-Maltese, 2-Goldendoodles and 1-Labradoodle adopted from our home during 2011. Including Toby, we have 5-foster Maltese with us right now. Two are ready for adoption and three need either physical rehabilitation or further socialization before they can be adopted.

The advantage of getting a dog from a rescue organization is that we have had the time and resources to clean the dog and to monitor his health and behavior. While we don't guarantee the temperament or health of any dog, we can give an honest evaluation of both. All of our dogs have been vet checked and some have had extebsive medical care for broken legs and fractured hips. We also have the ability to screen new homes better than the shelters can so we will usually get a better fit between the dogs and their new family.

Please consider a rescue dog for your next pet and PLEASE don't buy your dog from a mall pet store. They come from the terrible conditions of puppy mills. Buying there is supporting those inhumane activities.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th December 2011 at 06:37 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Caterpillar into a butterfly...

That is a wonderful service you provide. Toby has certainly had a major "makeover" and looks much happier and more comfortable. This a fine Christmas present to him and I hope he finds a loving, permanent home.

We had to put our Sheltie down earlier this year and he is truly missed. I have a very soft spot in my heart for dogs.

- Paul -

Real Name
    Rob

Cute photo, I was going to get a dog like him, brought him home and everything, but the cats kept attacking him. They were here first . We have some nice humane societies in Spokane.

Real Name
    james

It is a noble task you do Richard. I am sure Toby will make a loving pet/ companion.By the way beautiful transformation.

That is SOME transformation...doesn't look like the same dog, I know it is, but you know what I mean.

Real Name
    Joe

Richard, my hat off to you. Takes someone special to do what you do.Toby looks like a handsome fellow.Heres our rescue taken when she was 5 months old. We've had her 3 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images