Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photoshop/imaging expert needed! Gradient question.

Photoshop/imaging expert needed! Gradient question.

Hey guys,

I want to know if this is an optical illusion type of thing, or if there is a reasoning as to why there is a dark tinge/halo barely visible around the white (100%) to white (0%) radial gradient? I checked my settings and they are set as default.

Top one is soft brush 200px and bottom one is radial gradient. As you might be able to see (maybe just me?), the radial gradient has a dark tinge or halo around it. Why is this?

Photoshop/imaging expert needed!  Gradient question.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Photoshop/imaging expert needed! Gradient question.

Its not an optical illusion, the colour in the rings is a tad darker (and not a normal colour mix, the red has funny letter/number ref). No idea why and a bit stuck with your pics being .png which my preferred progs ie NX2 & DxO with easier comparative colour analysis won't read. I know that Photoshop Elements only shows a preview on screen and saved .tif is often quite different - you will have to wait for real photoshop expert like Colin to wake up for more info.

Re: Photoshop/imaging expert needed! Gradient question.

Your gradient simply has a harder edge to it. Look at your blue channel to see it. You can also verify if a color is lighter or darker by using the info palette and hovering over different areas with the cursor, most easily done in the individual channels. You can verify quite easily in each channel that the colors go from lighter to darker without a darker segment in between.

It's an illusion produced by the interior shading.