Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I wish

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greece (ex UK)
    Posts
    628
    Real Name
    Russell

    I wish

    Hi, Just a rather I WISH question.
    As I try to learn about photography (and I am nearing the big 60) I have looked at DVDís and online tutorials and one thing stands out for me with most of the presenters, they all have or seem to have the best and most up to date equipment and apps.
    I just watched the Wacom DVD and the guy was using a Cintiq 21UX
    The cost of this (in the UK anyways is about £1700) what everyday photography can afford this kind of layout? In another DVD it was the Canon 1Ds Mark III around £6000.
    And I assume most if not all of these DVDís are aimed at the consumer side of the table not at the pro photographers (although we never stop learning)
    Why do they do this and not use what I or most of us would be using, maybe the 7D or the Nikon equivalent. Itís also evident in the software side of things, I have CS 4 and as a novice/amateur I cannot afford to keep buying the next version of Photoshop CS?
    Even my CS4 was second user and I bet a lot of us on not just this site but others also are using either CS2 if we are lucky or Elements
    As I said at the start this is an I WISH more than anything else, a wish they would come down to my level or a wish that I could afford all of this top gear!!
    Merry Christams (I WISH)
    Russ

  2. #2
    Ricco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    254
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: I wish

    Russ - I'm with you to an extent.

    I'm just starting out with flash and trying to get basics but a lot of the stuff I read starts pointing to things like soft boxes, multiple flashes, pocket wizzes and the like, not to mention the multiple speedlights that i "should" have.

    When I was trying to grasp some of the basics of camera operation, it was hard to separate what contributed to a great picture - part of it is that a good photographer could probably make one of my mundane photos great with limited equipment but there certainly is a part where good gear kicks in and I found it hard to amke that distinction (still do).

    But I guess that is all part of the fun. Making do with what you have and figuring how to best approximate what you are trying to achieve.

    Anyway - you aren't alone

  3. #3
    Goldcoastgolfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,798
    Real Name
    Mal

    Re: I wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    But I guess that is all part of the fun. Making do with what you have and figuring how to best approximate what you are trying to achieve.
    You know, as I get a bit more experienced with this photography thing I'm beginning to get a lot more positive feedback, along with the supplementary comment "you must have a great camera! What sort is it?"

    I think I've got that from the separate people this week! It's getting depressing! Makes me want to see what I can do with just my camera phone

    As cool as it would be to have the top end equipment, I have to say that it's more satisfying to capture a great photo without it. thats when you really know that you're making progress - when you've done it without there latest and greatest bells and whistles

  4. #4
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    13,186
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: I wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    I'm beginning to get a lot more positive feedback, along with the supplementary comment "you must have a great camera! What sort is it?"
    My wife is a great cook but, I have never heard anyone say to her, "This food is great, you must have good pots and pans!"

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,712

    Re: I wish

    You have raised a number of common points here, Russ.

    For many people (the majority in fact) a £1000 camera is just as inaccessible as a £6000 model.

    Some of these instructors appear to consider expenses of this magnitude as simply being spare pocket money; like many city traders used to spend their bonuses and are unaware that there is anybody between their level of wealth and penniless beggars.

    However, in their defence, I suppose it could be argued that these tutorials need to appeal to as many users as possible so starting at the top level tends to also include the middle group as many techniques apply to all levels of dslr cameras/equipment and the best of the point and shoot group.

    There are certainly quite a number of books/DVDs which aim more at the middle market so I suppose it may simply be a case of doing a bit of research and looking for someone who retains 'the common touch'.

    But it isn't just photography which suffers from somewhat elitist presenters. I get fed up with many wildlife film producers who show unusual items which have taken a highly skilled camera crew a great deal of time and expense to produce. Then the result is shown in a manner which suggests this sort of behaviour is commonplace and can be seen in your neighbourhood any day.

    Give me the 'real life' naturalists who, like most of us, might never actually see these occasional events and concentrate on what actually happens everyday.

    However, don't totally give up on the 'good life' Russ, keep buying those lottery tickets.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greece (ex UK)
    Posts
    628
    Real Name
    Russell

    Re: I wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    You have raised a number of common points here, Russ.

    For many people (the majority in fact) a £1000 camera is just as inaccessible as a £6000 model.

    Some of these instructors appear to consider expenses of this magnitude as simply being spare pocket money; like many city traders used to spend their bonuses and are unaware that there is anybody between their level of wealth and penniless beggars.

    However, in their defence, I suppose it could be argued that these tutorials need to appeal to as many users as possible so starting at the top level tends to also include the middle group as many techniques apply to all levels of dslr cameras/equipment and the best of the point and shoot group.

    There are certainly quite a number of books/DVDs which aim more at the middle market so I suppose it may simply be a case of doing a bit of research and looking for someone who retains 'the common touch'.

    But it isn't just photography which suffers from somewhat elitist presenters. I get fed up with many wildlife film producers who show unusual items which have taken a highly skilled camera crew a great deal of time and expense to produce. Then the result is shown in a manner which suggests this sort of behaviour is commonplace and can be seen in your neighbourhood any day.

    Give me the 'real life' naturalists who, like most of us, might never actually see these occasional events and concentrate on what actually happens everyday.

    However, don't totally give up on the 'good life' Russ, keep buying those lottery tickets.
    Mmm, lottery tickets I remember them, in Greece that kind of gambling is not allowed as far as I can see not even the Euro millions but!!! I got a great idea I just need an expert on Photoshop and Landscape photography tomake a DVD along with me as the Doh!!! what does that do, then send invites to Adobe,Canon,Wacom and OK Nikon and ask for free stuff in exchange for promoting there product on a DVD.
    Yesssss!!!!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Quťbec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    Re: I wish

    Oh boy do I wish!

    In fact, I just love doing something simple and getting the result I want without "The Kit". I will make it a project of mine to show my set-up,humm, backyard :with a flower, morning sun, no wind, cup of coffee, little camping chair, parasol bought at the second end store, lots of patience...you think it would be a good seller?

  8. #8
    Glenn NK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: I wish

    Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Why do they do this and not use what I or most of us would be using, maybe the 7D or the Nikon equivalent. Itís also evident in the software side of things, I have CS 4 and as a novice/amateur I cannot afford to keep buying the next version of Photoshop CS?

    As I said at the start this is an I WISH more than anything else, a wish they would come down to my level or a wish that I could afford all of this top gear!!

    By the time the photographer gets to the level of knowledge and experience required to be able to put together a tutorial (and not make a fool of himself), he is probably doing it for a living, and because of this has pro grade equipment.

    Over on another forum I frequent (naturescapes) many of the participants are well beyond my level and literally make a good living, and some travel the world with photography. Try Googling "ej peiker" and you'll see what I mean - the first eight hits are of him. And he's just one of them on that site.

    Lately he has exhibited photos from Hawaii, the Canadian Rockies, Antarctica, Arizona, Wyoming, Washington, Acacia, and Maine. And he has published a book covering all the birds of North America.

    So if he were doing a tutorial, he'd use the gear he has - which isn't the "ordinary" stuff I have (Canon 30D and 5DII). He uses a Canon 1D Mark III and a Nikon D3X, and likely has ten lenses or more (for each camera). Oh, and has at least two bodies of each model for backup.

    He would use the gear that he has - I think it's that simple.

    Glenn

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Forest, VA,
    Posts
    12

    Re: I wish

    Here's another point of view. For much of my adult life I made motion pictures (non-theatrical). My latest, lightest camera weighed 25 pounds, my gadget bag was a Ford station wagon (backed up by a truck for lighting equipment). I'm retired now and back to my original love of shooting still photographs. But I am bound and determined to cut my equipment needs down to the bare minimum, both for financial reasons but mostly to avoid lugging around lots of stuff. Keeping in mind Eisenstadt's comment that "no man is equal to the simplest camera," my kit consists of a super-zoom point-and-shoot, a circular polarizer, and a tripod (which I don't use all that often). Maybe my sights are set too low, but so far I have been able to produce the pictures I want. I don't see a DSLR any time in my near future.

    Gene

    I wish

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •