Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Little Girl

Real Name
    Kerry

My Little Girl

Here goes, my first pic LOL.... This is one of my little Jasmine when she was about 2.5y/o taken on my Fuji Finepix. I'm a lover of close up portraits and B&W. I'd love some feedback

My Little Girl

Real Name
    Kerry

Re: My Little Girl

Fast forward 2years and look another B&W Close-up of my little Jasmine

My Little Girl

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Kerry and welcome. Nice job with these. I like the composition and the moments you have captured. The expressions are great for me.

I too am growing to love the close up portraits of kids and have found this site to be pretty helpful in improving this aspect.

Have you had a look at Colin's school of portraiture links pinned to the top of the people and pets forum? If not then that would be a good place to start.

In terms of specific feedback, the photos look a little soft to me but I couldnt be sure as to whether that is a result of focus, blur, downsizing or just how I'm viewing them.

With the second photo, what do you think of the background? For me, it draws the attention away from the subject.

Real Name
    Marc Laubscher

Hi Kerry

I also just recently joined and have not posted a lot yet, although I've entered some of my pics in the Mini Competitions just to see how they compare. I've been a "happy snapper" most of my life and have only recently done a basic course on photography...

Now I find myself a discontented happy snapper, because I'm struggling to get to the point where some of the folks on this forum are, but ... :-)

I also find portraits fascinating, and like the shots of your daughter. Keep up the good work.

Someone once said..."The more I practice, the luckier I get", so who knows where we can end up if we just keep practicing?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kerry

The histogram indicates that you could crank up the black point a little on the second one. That would perhaps give it a bit more energy. Do you think it feels a little flat as it is?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I do tend to agree with Peter on both his points, although with such an appealing subject, you almost get away with it Kerry.

I do like the compositions on both though, despite being tight, they're not claustrophobically so.
    (that has to be the longest word I have used today)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Sharon

There is a beautiful and wistful 'lightness of being' to the second shot and she will adore that shot as an adult.

Yes, you should play about with the blacks and maybe get a smidge more definition but ..please don't lose that special quality of light.

I happen to think the background works well with the wind catching those gentle tendrils.

Stunning. x

Real Name
    Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Kerry

The histogram indicates that you could crank up the black point a little on the second one. That would perhaps give it a bit more energy. Do you think it feels a little flat as it is?
    Thanks Donald, yes agree totally. I just couldnt work out Lightroom properly LOL.... how does it look now? This is the effect I was after originally. Now I know what the Histogram does

My Little Girl

Real Name
    Kerry

Ricco, yes do agree, the background is slightly overexposed unfortunately, however I dont want to crop to tightly - so whilst it is overexposed, luckily she's such a pretty subject that most tend to concentrate on her than on the background.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by kezmal View Post
    Thanks Donald, yes agree totally. I just couldnt work out Lightroom properly LOL.... how does it look now? This is the effect I was after originally. Now I know what the Histogram does
    Bingo! Well done!

That's another thing you can tick off on the 'to learn' list.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Bingo! Well done!

That's another thing you can tick off on the 'to learn' list.
    How about a bit more warning before you make me give an early morning lesson over here!

Real Name
    Kerry

It was nice to finally have a chat Malcolm Good morning hun

Thanks Donald, yes after my early morning lesson on the Histogram, I got what I wanted. Many more lessons to come, just need to drag Mal away from his 'puter.

Real Name
    Terry

These are beautiful shots of a beautiful little girl, Kerry.

She really lights up a photograph!