Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A mountain and a reflection: which one?

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

A mountain and a reflection: which one?

Hi all,

Today I got up before dawn and went to take photos at a reservoir near Madrid. I've selected those that I like most, but there are always some similar ones that I have difficulties choosing between. So I'll be asking for your help, and will start with these two below. Which do you prefer and why? And of course, C&C are always gratefully welcome.

Tony

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A mountain and a reflection: which one?

The second one - because of where the water/land line falls relative to the centre of the frame.

Real Name
    Sharon

I prerer the first..it has a brilliance. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The second one - because of where the water/land line falls relative to the centre of the frame.
    Yes I agree with that. There is less uninteresting water in that one; plus I prefer a little more blue sky above the cloud in the top left corner. The first one has the cloud very tight to the top edge. I could equally accept a slightly tighter crop so the cloud disappeared into the top edge or a little more blue visible.

I would consider cloning over that pylon, or whatever the steel tower is.

Real Name
    Chris

You might want to consider rotating it about 2 degrees to the left and cropping the top of the cloud to match the reflected image...just a thought.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Well, I tried out your suggestions and the results are below. I cropped a bit of the top of the first to make it more symmetrical, since I couldn't show more sky. I also rotated them; I didn't even realise they weren't straight. I started to remove the pylon, but in Lightroom it's tedious, and I haven't invested in a good editor yet. There's also the question of the long power lines that I'd also have to remove, so I've decided to stop here because my wife already thinks I spend too long at the computer! I also increased the orange saturation, because that's how I remember seeing it (perhaps it was more in my imagination).

Both will stay in my album, as there hasn't been a consensus as to which is considered best - both in and out of this forum. I'm a sucker for symmetry, and it's interesting to know others' views.

And finally here's another shot I took, this time in landscape. I like the way the cloud follows the shape of the right side of the mountain. I think I could have framed it better, including more water beneath the reflection of the mountain peak. So much to think about...