Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: When The Boat Comes In

When The Boat Comes In

C&C away, edit if you want. What's wrong with it, what have I done right. Don't hold back. I can take it....... When The Boat Comes In

A cold bleak day by the River Thames Estuary

When The Boat Comes In

Real Name
    Mal

Re: When The Boat Comes In

I know it's supposed to be cold and bleak but the shot seems a little underexposed to me - especially against the glowing boat

Maybe a black and white version would work?

Hi Malcolm. Thanks for the comment. I put the glow on the boat on purpose just to give it a little something.

I have just done one in mono to see what it looks like.....

When The Boat Comes In

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

I think it could carry a slight highlighting of the boat in the way that you have done. But I think the problem is carrying that into the sky. On the water, that sort of splash of brightness could work. But the halo effect it gives on the sky doesn't look right, I feel.

Real Name
    David

I would second Donald and add that if you can tighten up the highlighting mask so that less of the water is affected; to increase the contrast between the two areas.

Cheers Donald. I'll give it a go. I have to put the laptop down for tonight. Got a stinking cold and it's making my eyes funny When The Boat Comes In

Thanks David. Will give it a go

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Thanks a lot Dave! Now I'm off to bed with the tune "When the Boat Comes In" on my brain.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Dave, I like this shot except for the halo (brightening) effect. I can see what you are going for but as mentioned by others it's just a bit overdone. If you can just emphasize the yellow and red and white on the boat perhaps that might be enough to make it stand out. Another process that might set the boat apart is to lasso around it feather by approx 8 pixels and then apply LCE or sharpening to just the boat. I like the lightening effect, but as already mentioned it just doesn't look right on the water or the sky.

Otherwise, great shot, Very moody - bleak and cold - I like that.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    Thanks a lot Dave! Now I'm off to bed with the tune "When the Boat Comes In" on my brain.
    Sorry about that Tony............. Thou shalt have a fish and thou shalt have a fin, Thou shalt have a codlin when the boat comes in

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Hi Dave, I like this shot except for the halo (brightening) effect. I can see what you are going for but as mentioned by others it's just a bit overdone. If you can just emphasize the yellow and red and white on the boat perhaps that might be enough to make it stand out. Another process that might set the boat apart is to lasso around it feather by approx 8 pixels and then apply LCE or sharpening to just the boat. I like the lightening effect, but as already mentioned it just doesn't look right on the water or the sky.

Otherwise, great shot, Very moody - bleak and cold - I like that.

Wendy
    Thank you Wendy. I'm going to have a play with it when my vision gets back to normal. Picked up a cold yesterday and it's come out full last night.
    I feel like the picture lol