Thread: morning forest

Real Name
    Reima

morning forest

Hello!

Focus of this picture is supposed to be the feeling of it, or that is what I tried to capture. I wasn't really sure where to focus it, I just thought that might be all right :-D In composition I pursued symmetry, the burnt gap in the middle and trees both sides of it. Perhaps I should have cleared the branch from the front right side, I think there might be a little bit much stuff in the picture. What do you think? Does it miss some kind of main object?

morning forest

EOS 20D, 28-135 IS
    95 mm
    f/5,6
    1/250 sec.
    ISO-200

Real Name
    Mal

Re: morning forest

I think you've found some really interesting light in what you've captured. For me though it lacks a subject - my eyes follow the light down to the dark spot in the middle of your photo and I end up looking at the ground.

What you've capture in the background is great - it really does have the potential to convey a "feeling" of some sort. I'd say you just need to have some sort of subject in the foreground given the reasonably shallow depth of field to finish the image off.

I have my daughter for these situations... if I find some really interesting light but no subject I just throw her into the shot (just kidding!)

Real Name
    Reima

Thanks for the comment Malcolm! It didn't occur to me at the time of the shooting, but perhaps I could have found something to place in the middle of the ground and use as a subject in the forest. Something that wouldn't have been the main idea of the photo, but something that could have helped the photo to be complete and thus better transmit the feeling of the scene.. o.O

Real Name
    Sharon

Or perhaps a diffent angle with the light passage offset?

It is such a lovely light.

I suspect, Reima, that cropping the blurred foreground and removing around half of it, plus a corresponding amount from the sides if you want to retain the same ratio would have a positive effect.

Real Name
    David

The grass seed heads upper right could make an interesting feature; they are catching the light nicely.