Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just buy me something small Santa

Real Name
    Kay

Just buy me something small Santa

Ever heard the saying the best camera is the 1 you have with you? Or the best exposure advice is f/8 & be there?

With this in mind, & Santa is stuck for ideas.... I thought of a small camera with manual control, for when the 7D & all the gear just isn't going to get an outing.

My ideas are Canon G12 - know the system & maybe the best bit it has a viewfinder,
    vs an olympus XZ1 retro looking 'slim' number with a 1.8 lens

I know the hybrid/bridge/x 3rds would be better.... But I'm thinking if I go that way then I'll want the interchangeable lenses and blah blah there I go almost with as much baggage as with the 7D albeit a less weighty bag....
    So I really want the 'carry on only' option for this "flight" ....... Any experience suggestions welcome

Oh and did you hear the other story about the guys who get asked for camera buying advice?
    The buyer listens intently & then goes and buys exactly what she wants!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Just buy me something small Santa

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Oh and did you hear the other story about the guys who get asked for camera buying advice?
    The buyer listens intently & then goes and buys exactly what she wants!
    Yes Kay I have heard that story and experienced those frustrations with many items, not just cameras ! The things we mere males have to put up with

The G series cameras seem to have been popular with "high end" users and they have a decent sized sensor. You could also consider the Canon S95 or better still it's replacement the S100 which I think has just been released (if Santa could get one in time). The S cameras are quite small compared to the G cameras but they do have a similar sized sensor. And besides, they probably have more "girlie" appeal and can be slipped in the handbag with the lippy etc. The G's are more "manly".

I hope you get what you want and best wishes for the festive season

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Kathy

+1 with considering an S100 over the G12 (although finding one in stock before Christmas is going to be tough). They usually share a 1/1.7" sensor and processor, but the S is a lot smaller, has a faster lens (f/2 vs. f/2.8), and still does RAW and full Manual mode. It's also a little less expensive. The main differences (aside from the size & weight) are the S100's control ring on the front, full 1080 video capability, and built-in GPS, and the G's hotshoe, built-in ND filters, cable release port, and accessory mount (filters). Most of the G12's "pluses" involve extra stuff to carry. My S90 forced me to go lighter, because it can't use a remote, filters, or have an external flash unit mounted on it.

I'd say get the G12 only if you have to have Strobist capability, planned on a lot of waist-level shooting, or were going to be carrying a full camera bag with all the add-on bits, anyway.
    Last edited by inkista; 16th December 2011 at 02:21 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I just treated myself to the Canon S100 to answer this very issue.

I figured the small size and it being literally in my trouser/pants pocket (impossible with a G12), outweighed the better facilities of the G12 (e.g. a hotshoe).

Sure it's a compromise and some reviewer test shots suggest edge sharpness on the S95 is better, the XZ1 maybe even be better still, but it's bigger.

The S100 has an f/2 lens (but only at wide angle end), GPS, 5x zoom (24mm - 120mm), shoots RAW (works in ACR 6.6), full manual, etc.

Initial impressions;
    It isn't quick, especially saving in RAW+jpg mode, but I always have it with me now
    I love the wide angle macro ability to focus so close, this (at 24mm equiv.) is the widest lens I have, until I buy something like a Nikon 10-24mm or Tokina 11-16mm for the D5000, but that's a new year resolution!

Definitely go and have a play with all the contenders in a store, I did (Thanks Jessops for having them all on display and powered).

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th December 2011 at 02:35 AM.

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou Gentlemen all good advice taken on board.... Maybe I should have clarified a wee bit, in that I was a tomboy who called myself 'Kevin' so we won't write off the G series yet Dave E
    Dave H, that is a good idea, to try and see them all together, as it will probably come down to 'I just like the look/feel of this one'
    Problem being in a smaller centre... There are no big dedicated camera stores.... 1 small one and then lots of hi-fi type chain stores, so getting all 3 at once might be tricky.
    I do like the sound of the macro idea/advice, as part of what I want to do with it is have some fun with close ups of the cat&dog

Thanks again & I'm glad my idea is not too strange... I was a bit worried Dave that you might have had to bump my thread to the 'camera gear you shouldn't have bought' ... Phew