Thread: k5 or D7000

k5 or D7000

I have picked the hobby after being busy for a few years, I am purchasing a new camera today can t decide between K5 and D7000...any advice?

Real Name
    Chris

Re: k5 or D7000

Nothing will get the Pentax and Nikon camps at each others throats more than a question like this.
    There are only two criteria.
    1. Nikon are more popular that Pentax, and you can draw from that whatever you like.
    2. What feels right for you? Go into a camera shop and play with both, then pick the one you like the feel of and offers the features you want.
    They are both good cameras and you won't go wrong with either choice. Remember, it's not the camera that takes good pictures, it's the guy behind it.

Real Name
    Dave

I, and I suspect most other people, will only be able to comment on one of theses brands. I'm guessing no one has both a K5 and a D7000 and probably even those who have more than one camera have all Nikons or all Canons etc.

I have a K5 and think it is excellent. Will it take better photos than a D7000; absolutely not. Both of these and the cameras from many other brands are capable of excellent photos. As Chris has noted, it is who is behind the camera that matters.

Although I had a 35mm film camera many years ago I was a little concerned about the massive range of features on a DSLR. I should not have been the K5 was very easy to get on with immediately. I suspect the same of the D7000.

There were a few reasons why I bought the K5 - a very good sensor (same one I believe is in the D7000), good low light abilities but most of all because any K mount lens from about 1975 onwards will fit (and I have about 5 such lenses) and these can be found very cheaply on the 'Net, and because the IS is in the camera body so every lens is a stabilised lens. You lose some or all of the auto functions on the older lenses but that may not be a problem.

As photography is a new hobby to you then you won't have a few lenses that could sway your decision so it really is what you feel happy with. The range of available lenses for the Nikon is bigger than for the Pentax and that may be a deciding factor.

I don't know where you are based, Marc but in the UK the K5 is cheaper than the D7000.

Dave

Real Name
    Philip

Marc, if it is not yet too late, I suggest that you read through all of the following web page carefully -

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D7000-vs-Pentax_K-5

Decide which features each model has that are important to you then, preferably also after handling the cameras if you can, make your choice.

Philip

Real Name
    Robin

I've both in the store - actually right in front of me as I type - and even as a long term Nikon user I wouldnt like to say which will be better for you. Both have (supposedly) the same sensor, the Nikon has a tiny edge at high ISO's while the Pentax has a tiny edge when it comes to dynamic range. Both are well built, the Pentax has better waterproofing but the flip side is the Nikon is smaller and lighter. I prefer the viewfinder in the Nikon but prefer the more graphical quality of the rear screen displayon the Pentax. I could go on.

Set yourself a budget and see which camera you can get with the best lens for your money. The lens will influence the image more than the camera bodies in question. If you were a customer in my store now that is how I would help you decide, go through the options for lenses and possible extras and see which had the best deal. What I will say and what I always tell people on forums is go into your local store and try them. Don't buy online to save a few £$€¥ go and have a play. These two cameras are world apart in the way they feel and it could well be a case of you falling in love with one or just as possible not feeling right with one of them in your hands.

Real Name
    Pete

as a Nikon user I expect I should say the d7000 but both are superb cameras.......

realistically decide what you want to shoot. If you're into wildlife then I'd lean to Nikon it has all those big prime lenses and the 200-400 f4. it also has more cheaper telephoto options

Pentax has a nice set of enthusiast lenses the 16-50 f2.8 and the 55 f1.4 which with the sensor based stabilistation is something nikon doesn't have.

then again Nikon has a nice set of kit lens choices. e.g 16-85 18-105 18-200 all have Nikon's Vibration Statilisation the Pentax 18-135 seems to be overpriced given the reviews.

You need to hold the cameras and see how they feel. But I'd say it will come down to lenses and what best meets your needs.

Real Name
    Blake

If I'm not too late replying here, both are excellent cameras. I believe the K5 has a little more extensive weather sealing and a couple extra small features, like built in HDR mode and built in lens corrections. Both cameras can use old lenses (pentax k and nikon f mounts). Nikon does have a larger lens selection, however. Regardless, you'd probably be more than happy with either camera.

Thanks for input, when it came down to it I went with the one that felt good in my hands and was most familiar with.
    M

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Drumroll........... and the winner was?

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Lemme guess.. D7000? It has fantastic ergonomics.

The winner was the D7000, a second factor was the fact that my brother gave me a really nice Nikkor lens. I had some other old Pentax lenses, but they were not as good as this one.
    M

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Guy View Post
    The winner was the D7000
    Poor, misguided fellow! Still, I do hope that you are able to get almost as much fun from your new camera as I have from mine!

Philip

Real Name
    Nimai

I want to purchase Nikon D300. Pl. help me.
    Das