Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: winter landscapes

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

winter landscapes

shot with canon 5dmk2 and 70/200 f2.8 is 11 at f 29 30sec with variable nd filter and circlewinter landscapes

Mod Addition: EXIF = 30s at f/29, iso 50 and at 70mm
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th December 2011 at 05:43 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: winter landscapes

Jack - I think there is the possibility of a good image in there, but ......

It needs a heavy clockwise rotation to straighten it up. Everything is falling over to the left.

You've got a lot of blown whites in it. It is over-exposed (unless you were deliberately going for a high-key look in which case I think you need to work on it with levels and curve and push it even further). But as it stands it doesn't look as if that was what you were after and it just looks over-exposed. I think if you pushed up the black point then you'd still have the sky badly blown, but the rest of the image might be able to carry it.

I think the idea behind the composition is good.

Such a long shutter speed on water is not to my personal taste, but that is a purely subjective matter. I'm not so keen on water being allowed to go that blurred, but many people will like that.
    Last edited by Donald; 14th December 2011 at 04:32 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

California Winter Landscape

Taken one Christmas Season along the Colorado River between California and Arizona...

winter landscapes

rob marshall

Hi Jack

Not sure if you intended this look, but it doesn't seem quite right if you didn't. The problem with using a very small aperture (f/29) is you are not using the best part of the lens. I do a lot of waterfall shots, and this year I got a 10-stop filter, which has made a big improvement by allowing me to shoot at the best part of my lens (around f/8). I shot this one recently at f/7 20sec (also on 5D Mk2). I managed to get a normal exposure for all of the shot, but at the same time managed to freeze the water. Maybe the filters you used had some adverse effect upon the exposure?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...7628417884095/

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Thank you for the tips on how to improve this shot, i appreciate all input.