Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side

C&C away. What's good, whats bad.

Camera Canon EOS 550D
    Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens 18-55
    Edit CS5

Truth is I put this shot on P mode and Landscape mode. I seen the image in my head and knew what I wanted to do.
    I could go back as it's not to far away if you think I could improve it going manual?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    C&C away. What's good, whats bad.

Camera Canon EOS 550D
    Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens 18-55
    Edit CS5

Truth is I put this shot on P mode and Landscape mode. I seen the image in my head and knew what I wanted to do.
    I could go back as it's not to far away if you think I could improve it going manual?

Hi Dave,

What will that achieve?
    If the exposure was correct - looks good to me
    and
    the choice of aperture, shutter speed and iso is the best compromise for DoF, subject blur and noise
    then what's the difference?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th December 2011 at 10:57 PM.

rob marshall

Nice exposure and I like the cranes. But I'm doing a Wimbledon between the cranes and the ship. This is just my theory - a lead-in object/person in a landscape does just that. It shouldn't be too dominant, but it leads you in to the main subject. I want to think of the three cranes as the main subject as they are the most interesting subject. But they are at the front, and then I'm forced to look at the ship because a) it's bright, and b) because it's like Everest (it's there!).

I told you not to listen to me (didn't I?)

I think it would make a great sunset silhouette if you can get the positioning right. Where does the sun set?

Real Name
    Nigel
    Dave,
    Nothing wrong in using P mode or even using the Picture Styles (in this case Landscape).
    They do a great job in situations like this and even give you a good starting point if you need to meter manually. The exposure here looks spot on.

I have no idea Dave that's why I'm asking Just thought some with more how would have said, no no no, you do it like this. (Well I thought that's what would have happened lol)
    I seen the cruise ship on the other side and seen the loaders on the dock yard. I moved about until I could get them both in the shot.

Thank you Nigel. I don't used the landscape mode that often, I guess because I don't do much landscape
    The P mode does come in handy when I get stuck and don't know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Nice exposure and I like the cranes. But I'm doing a Wimbledon between the cranes and the ship. This is just my theory - a lead-in object/person in a landscape does just that. It shouldn't be too dominant, but it leads you in to the main subject. I want to think of the three cranes as the main subject as they are the most interesting subject. But they are at the front, and then I'm forced to look at the ship because a) it's bright, and b) because it's like Everest (it's there!).

I told you not to listen to me (didn't I?)

I think it would make a great sunset silhouette if you can get the positioning right. Where does the sun set?
    The sun would set to the right of the picture.
    In my head I wanted to get the old cranes in the foreground, where the hard workers work there, and the cruise ship in as it totally opposite of grease and dirt the dock men do.

In an ideal world, Dave, those cranes would be facing the other way; so their jibs lead your view towards the centre and the ship, as Rob mentioned. But I don't suppose you had much choice over that.

Otherwise, it is a dull day and that is what you have faithfully captured. I suppose you could try boosting the highlights very slightly, but I fear you would simply create overexposure in the sky.

Using the auto settings is fine to start with, and under the right conditions this can produce good results. But as you begin to want to become more creative you will probably find yourself using the others like Tv, Av or M more often.

Real Name

I have no idea Dave that's why I'm asking Just thought some with more how would have said, no no no, you do it like this. (Well I thought that's what would have happened lol)
    You may have heard the old adage that if you give an infinite number of monkeys typewriters, and they all type random characters, eventually one of them will type the complete works of Shakespeare.

Well P mode isn't quite that bad, it occasionally gets it right

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    In an ideal world, Dave, those cranes would be facing the other way; so their jibs lead your view towards the centre and the ship, as Rob mentioned. But I don't suppose you had much choice over that.

Otherwise, it is a dull day and that is what you have faithfully captured. I suppose you could try boosting the highlights very slightly, but I fear you would simply create overexposure in the sky.

Using the auto settings is fine to start with, and under the right conditions this can produce good results. But as you begin to want to become more creative you will probably find yourself using the others like Tv, Av or M more often.
    Thanks Geoff. I do use Tv and Av a lot. more than anything else. I just didn't know what to do in a shot like this. I can get to the place easier enough as it's only a 20 minute drive.

The picture was taken beside the River Themes in Gravesend UK

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    You may have heard the old adage that if you give an infinite number of monkeys typewriters, and they all type random characters, eventually one of them will type the complete works of Shakespeare.

Well P mode isn't quite that bad, it occasionally gets it right
    hahahaha. I do try and be in some sort of control of the camera Dave. And like P mode, sometimes I get it right

Real Name

Can they park the ship facing the other way too?

Real Name

hahahaha. I do try and be in some sort of control of the camera Dave. And like P mode, sometimes I get it right
    The random element is P mode, not you

EDIT: and I'm not saying you're a monkey either

EDIT 2: "Dave H - stop digging"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    The random element is P mode, not you

EDIT: and I'm not saying you're a monkey either

EDIT 2: "Dave H - stop digging"
    I know Lucky for me I am known by my Grandson, Grandad Lion (as I have a tattoo of a lion), his other Grandad is Grandad Monkey, as he has big ears lol

Real Name
    Graham Heron

In an ideal world, Dave, those cranes would be facing the other way; so their jibs lead your view towards the centre and the ship, as Rob mentioned. But I don't suppose you had much choice over that. .....
    Ah, the world of Photoshop, making dreams come true.
    Cranes now facing other way. 10 minutes (late, nothing else to do - not a great job, but gives the idea).
    Hope you don't mind the adjustments Dave.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Ah, the world of Photoshop, making dreams come true.
    Cranes now facing other way. 10 minutes (late, nothing else to do - not a great job, but gives the idea).
    Hope you don't mind the adjustments Dave.
    Graham

hahahahahaha.... that's put a grin on my face. Very clever Graham.
    I don't mind at all, as long as you care to share how it's done

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Nice sharp image. Composition is nice along with good rule of thirds use. Only thing I would do different is try to get this shot on a day with a better sky & when the cruise ship is not in port (distracting as Rob mentioned) I also like the idea of a sunset/sunrise shot too, but maybe early/late enough so you can get a nice sky and still keep the great detail of those crains. Just some food for thought since you said this location is near by. Nice job.

Real Name
    Ian

I have seen good sunrises along that part of the Thames (You are looking roughly East?), also, is it possible to get lower down in the shot? I know that Ports and docks can be restrictive, but some parts of the River Thames do allow you to get lower and closer, which may be of benefit to a sunrise?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    Nice sharp image. Composition is nice along with good rule of thirds use. Only thing I would do different is try to get this shot on a day with a better sky & when the cruise ship is not in port (distracting as Rob mentioned) I also like the idea of a sunset/sunrise shot too, but maybe early/late enough so you can get a nice sky and still keep the great detail of those crains. Just some food for thought since you said this location is near by. Nice job.
    Thanks Rob. I did get one in the summer with a better sky but a mile or so to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    I have seen good sunrises along that part of the Thames (You are looking roughly East?), also, is it possible to get lower down in the shot? I know that Ports and docks can be restrictive, but some parts of the River Thames do allow you to get lower and closer, which may be of benefit to a sunrise?
    Hi Ian. If I went down to the road right by the Themes I would be lower than the cranes. I'm kind of looking northeast in the shot.
    In the link I am standing at the bottom of Pier Road, just to the left of the cranes (middle bottom of link)..... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=grav...h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Real Name
    Graham Heron

hahahahahaha.... that's put a grin on my face. Very clever Graham.
    I don't mind at all, as long as you care to share how it's done
    Easily.

Okay, I was tempted to leave it at that, but I have time again. So..
    Just got Elements 10, a virgin copy, broke it's duck with this pic (can also do same way with at least 7).
    Copy the top of each crane down to the pivot point (individually), paste and flip horizontal. Use clone tool to remove old image of crane, then use layers to blend in excess copied image (around crane) with original image.
    Hope that helps. (Using a graphics tablet, pretty quick process).

Was gonna do the ship, but wanted to leave something for others to do .
    Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast