Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tokina 11-16mm feedback sought

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

Tokina 11-16mm feedback sought

Has anybody used the Tokina 11-16mm? I'v only ever read good things about it. I have a 7D, just ordered the lens & am looking forward to welcoming it into my kitbag.If anyone has experience with it, I would love to hear it.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Tokina 11-16mm feedback sought

Hi Quixxxie, welcome to CiC! I have the Tokina 11-16mm and love it. I got so used to the great DoF that I forgot that it doesn't have a built-in Auto Focus motor and in low light, the pictures weren't in focus. A CiC member pointed out that my D3100 has a focus dot in the lower left corner of the viewfinder so now I use that to ensure that the images are all in focus. Enjoy!

Real Name
    Andrew

I have that lens too, and love it. It is 'crazy' wide!! I only use it for specific purposes (obviously), so it doesn't quite get as much use as I thought it would, but when I do need it, it sure comes in handy!!

Good choice!

Real Name
    Richard

I purchased the 12-24mm f/4 Tokina Mki before the 11-16mm f/2.8 was offered. I love my 12-24mm but, would probably seriously consider the 11-16mm if I were in the market for a UWA lens now.

However, I am happy enough with my 12-24mm that I am not considering a switch. In fact, I am at the point where I am happy with all of my gear and have no great desires to switch. This is an epiphany for me since i have always been somewhat of a gearhead...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    In fact, I am at the point where I am happy with all of my gear and have no great desires to switch. This is an epiphany for me since i have always been somewhat of a gearhead...
    Well Richard, you'll just have to accidentally 'break' something so that you'll be forced to go shopping for a new toy! LOL!

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Well Richard, you'll just have to accidentally 'break' something so that you'll be forced to go shopping for a new toy! LOL!
    That could very well happen. I appear to be vey clumsy these days and will probably increase the clumsiness if I see something new that attracts my interest!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just to add to the chorus - Wonderful lens. The Chromatic Aberration that all the reviews talk about is there. But that's fine. If you know about it, you can manage it.

Great tool. Opens up a whole new world of photography.

Gets you a lot of funny looks as you're lying on the ground or with the lens pretty hard up against some object - getting up close is what it's all about.

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

As admitted before, I have been clicking only since about 2 months. @ FrankMi, when you say no Auto focus motor, does that mean al my focusing has to be done manually? Please give me some more details or pointers to other threads which already have this info. Thanks heaps! WOw this site is quite happening. :-D

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Quixxxie2000 View Post
    when you say no Auto focus motor,
    I wondered about this as well, Frank. Do you mean that auto focus doesn't work on the camera body you've got.

I've always a found the auto focus good on my 40D. The photozone review of the lens says, "Typical for all Tokina lenses the 11-16mm f/2.8 uses a standard micro-motor for auto-focusing. The focusing speed is Ok - regarding the ultra-wide character of the lens the motor doesn't get much work anyway."

Real Name
    Frank Miller

when you say no Auto focus motor, does that mean al my focusing has to be done manually?
    Yes, but only because the D3100 does not have an autofocus motor and neither does the Tokina, so if your camera has autofocus built into the body, you will have autofocus. My other lenses have the autofocus motot built into the lens. For most shots, the DoF is so great that I rarely noticed and forgot to manually focus once when I was shooting indoors hand-held. Now I use the focus indicator in the viewfinder to verify as I manually focus.

Real Name
    Bob

Good thread.

I am considering either the 11- 16mm or the 12 - 24 mm myself. I was leaning towards the 12 - 24mm but it appears the 11-16mm is a favorite. Can anyone comment further on the comparison of the two??

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Can anyone comment further on the comparison of the two??
    I'm not sure there will be many on here who have experience of using the two and, therefore, be able to make a comparison.

You might be better looking at the lens review sites for the analysis of each which you will then need to compare and contrast. Sites such as - Photozone, Fred Miranda, The Digital Picture, DP Review, etc

You'll find that the reviews, in general are very positive about both. And given the 11-16 was based on the 12-24, it uses the same shell and is to the same very high build quality. Your big difference, apart from the focal range is f2.8 v f4. So, it's alla bout deciding what you want/need.

Real Name
    Troy

I love mine. I used it exclusively on my vacation to Orlando,FL and travelling Europe (i'm from USA). I never use the autofocus since the DOF is so large and the AF will NEVER lock, but the focus distance meter on the lens is absolutely wonderful
    Last edited by pwnage101; 14th December 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

Thanks for the participation >All here. I hope to get mine today?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Quixxxie. I also got the Adorama Slinger Soft Lens Case (5" long) for $9 and it has been great. It not only allows me to protect the lens when not in use, but because it clips to my belt with velcro, I can take the lens with me without having to carry an equipment bag. I liked it so will that I got the 6.5" long version for my Telephoto. Now I can take all three lenses with me and still don't need to tote along a camera bag or backpack. Enjoy your new lens!

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Quixxxie. I also got the Adorama Slinger Soft Lens Case (5" long) for $9 and it has been great.
    Thats a steal- Where did you buy it? I am presently in India & the choices are few & far between...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th December 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thats a steal- Where did you buy it? I am presently in India & the choices are few & far between...
    Take a look at: http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/De...Soft+Lens+Case