Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sigma v's Canon

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Sigma v's Canon

I am thinking of trading in my Sigma 80-400 mm Zoom Lens and possibly the 1.4 and 2 times convertors.

I looking at the following Canon 100 - 400 mm zoom f5.6.

or the new Sigma 150-500 zoom.

Reason for change is the very slow auto focus on 80 to 400 Sigma and loss of definition when using the convertors.

If I go for the Canon any advice on 1.4 or 2 x TC would be appreciated. Will the Sigmas work or do I have to buy Canon. If so which one ??

Thanks

David

Real Name
    Pete

Re: Sigma v's Canon

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    I am thinking of trading in my Sigma 80-400 mm Zoom Lens and possibly the 1.4 and 2 times convertors.

I looking at the following Canon 100 - 400 mm zoom f5.6.

or the new Sigma 150-500 zoom.

Reason for change is the very slow auto focus on 80 to 400 Sigma and loss of definition when using the convertors.

If I go for the Canon any advice on 1.4 or 2 x TC would be appreciated. Will the Sigmas work or do I have to buy Canon. If so which one ??

Thanks

David
    David

I'm not a canon user BUT sticking TCs on these lens will probably lose you autofocus espesh the 2.0

The Sigma 80-400 and Canon 100-400 are both reviewed here

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/32...report--review

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/20...report--review

The Canon 100-400 is a rather old lens compared with 'modern' lenses and a few people don't like the push-pull zoom action. However, it has continued to be popular with wildlife photographers. It will take converters; but check on the latest Canon converter just to make sure.

The Sigma 150-500 is a lens which I do own and you should find plenty of reports about it on earlier CinC pages. I find that it works well, but within limitations. I'm not sure how the autofocus compares with the 80-400; but I wouldn't call it fast.

I would also advise against using it with the aperture fully open. But around F8 to F11 it performs well. So I would describe it as a good light lens. And I wouldn't recommend using it with a converter.

It is, however, an economical way to reach 500 mm and, under good conditions, is capable of performing well even when hand held; subject to a suitable shutter speed. And I haven't found any reduction in quality at the 500 mm end, which can occur with some larger zooms.

Have you also considered the Sigma 50-500 (the Bigma) which is also popular with wildlife photographers and now comes in a stabilised version; although at a cost.

Also, what do you photograph which requires a large zoom? I'm wondering if you have considered a 400 mm prime lens which will accept converters and provide good results at a reasonable cost.

I assume your current converters were purchased for Sigma lenses; is this correct? If so they won't fit a Canon lens. Although you can obtain Sigma converters which are 'Canon fit'. Genuine Canon converters are specific to a small number of Canon lenses, not the whole range, so you have to be careful before purchasing one. It is the physical shape of them which prevents their universal use.

Have you been using your Sigma converters with the 80-400? If so, this could be part of your problem.

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Geoff,
    Many Thanks. I use the lens for wildlife photography, mostly from hides, hence the requirement for the convertors which I use on occasion only. I have found the autofocus to be slow ND VERY NOSIY. I have also tried to find the sweet aperture and have found best results at about f11/F8 which means sometimes increasing the ISO to 400 +. I will look at a prime lens but it is a question of ££...

Regards

David

I've just had a quick look at some prices, David, and the best I can find for a Canon 400 mm F5.6 prime is £900 but that is £200 less than the 100-400.

The 400 is a great favourite with bird photographers and will work with a 1.4x converter without any serious loss of quality. But of course, you do lose the zoom function.

The other potential downside which was what persuaded me to go for the Sigma 150-500 is that the 400 has a long minimum focusing distance; which I think is around 11 ft. Which is probably fine for birds; but what happens when a rare butterfly lands 6 ft away from you and you are cramped up in a hide.

It is a pity that Sigma have discontinued their 400 mm prime which would probably have worked with your current converters.