Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Enjoy it!

Real Name
    Daniel

Enjoy it!

Hi all, C&C are always welcome, however this picture is more a "tourist" picture than an artistic one that I took during my recent trip to Vienna last Easter.

Just wanted to share the view with you:

Enjoy it!
    Last edited by Daniel Salazar; 9th May 2009 at 07:14 AM.

Re: Enjoy it!

Daniel, Your tourist picture has me wanting to leave now. I'll be passing through Vienna in September and I hope that I can pay all the tourists to stay out of my shot, like you did! I can't tell--is this a crop or a stitch?

Is it my glasses, or does it tilt down on the right? Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Daniel

Patience is the key SRH San! I just waited and waited and then took the picture, not so much PP but surely any stitching and just cropped on the top.

I recommend you to go to there in the morning and avoid weekends.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Daniel,

Nice pic, and I know how long it can take waiting to get a clear shot at places like these, so worth the wait.

I don't see a tilt on the building, I see a little barrel distortion - but only on critical analysis, nothing I noticed with normal viewing.

I think the tilt perception may come from the ground in front of the building which slightly falls away on the right, by my reckoning, the building itself is as straight as can be.

I see it was 1/80s at f22 from EXIF data, was a tripod involved?

Anyway, no less a good picture for being the subject as you might see it on postcards, well done,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 9th May 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Dave, no tripod used just a monopod. I didn't have then a tripod, I was saving for it, now I'm just waiting for the one I ordered form B&H and the ball head from RRS.

About the barrel distortion, I though that it didn't have due to the correction done Dxo Pro optics software, which states that correct it for my 18-250mm lens, and also, according to the lens reviews this lens at 22mm has almost imperceptible barrel distortion????

...please Dave tell me where you notice it, because I would like to learn how to identify correctly and also to fix it.

Real Name

Oh dear Daniel,

It really is a VERY small amount.

First you'll need to expand the image to its full width 1060px here (I do suggest you look here in a browser, not at your original yet).

I was checking levelness by click and dragging the scrollbar and moving it up and down almost a pixel at a time, doing this I noticed that if I placed the bottom edge of the pillars around the roof edge tight against the top of the browser window, if you look in the middle, there is an extra pixel or two visible and a tilt down from both sides.

I just hope I am not being fooled by the architectural features of the building or angle of view, rather than barrel distortion.

Here's a screen grab of what I am seeing, so please (anyone) do let me know if I'm being silly. Again, you'll need to view it full width 1224 px.

Enjoy it!

I obviously pixel peep too much, sorry,

Dave/Daniel,

The front of the building is not flat. It's very much E-shaped. I think the two low parts you comment on, Dave, are just the two "middle" parts of the building being further away than the ends and centre.

Actually, now I come to think of it, I can't explain why the two ends appear to slope down.

Graham

Real Name
    Daniel

@ Dave, effectively as Graham wrote, the building have several parts that go further away, you can see on the left/right side a few centimeters near the end of the building and also in the center. The center part goes further away and some mm after it does it again. Maybe Chris could help us due to his architectural background.

Real Name

Hi Daniel, Graham,

I accept the building is "E" shaped, I knew that before I posted and was ignoring the recessed bits. I was going by the tilt on the outside edges and the extra depth on the central part.

I now see that the central prong of the "E" actually comes out in 3 steps, making it difficult to judge how far it comes out (comparing to the shadow of the left hand side prong).

If the total of these steps does not stick out as far as the two ends, then I am mistaken and I apologise to yourself, DxoPro and anyone else implicated

Note also the completely nonsense architectural terms used (I'm no expert)

Looks like I've gone and done it again (opened mouth before engaging brain), not the first time and probably not the last

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jack

Great color, very vibrant, nicely done.

Jack

I think it looks nice and straight and don't notice any distortion (just looking unaided) so I'd say leave it. No-one is going to take a ruler to it when viewing. I think dave might be right on the distortion though because on his crop it looks more like a smooth bow effect to me, it could be other factors incuding shape of building but barrel distortion seems the most likely culprit if you ask me. Like he said it was upon close critical analysis and is slight so I wouldn't worry (well actually "I" would because I'm far too perfectionist when it comes to some things and carry on improving something past the point of "good enough", shame it doesn't show in my pics ).

If it is then I think dxo has probably done a great job. If you still have your unedited original and compare to the dxo developed version overlaying them or something if it is indeed barrel distortion then you'll probably find it has eliminated most of it (to the point it's barely perceptible).

Quote Originally Posted by SRH View Post
    Is it my glasses, or does it tilt down on the right?
    Well, Daniel, everyone else is too nice to say it, so I'll have to do it.

SRH, you're an idiot. It's your glasses.

(Seriously, I am short sighted in one eye, and long sighted in the other. To correct this, the optometrist gave me lenses that magnify on one side, and shrink on the other, so if I tilt my head, the size of things changes! Makes me seasick in the library. It's a good thing that the cameras we use don't have stereoscopic features--imagine the problems we could create, then.)

I look forward to taking a photo that is half as good as yours!

Stephen

Real Name
    Daniel

hi all. thanks for the kindly comments and critics, that is the reason why this site is excellent, the quality of the people is top!
    about writing something "wrong" or having a diferent point of view, doesn't mean that one is an &@£"!? or whatever we want to call us. we're humans and we're here to share our passion , so there are no mistake and all comments are welcome.

thanks!