Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightroom 3 Plugin

Real Name
    Mathieu

Lightroom 3 Plugin

So Christmas is coming and I will have some spare time to fill. I'm a huge fan of Lightroom 3 and I use this all the time with my photos. I'm also a software developer that is searching for personal challenge so I thought why not mix it with one of my favorites past time (photography).

So here I am, asking other people who use Lightroom 3, what kind of plugin or functionality would be missing in Lightroom that I could use as a personal project. Exporting plugin/Metadata manipulation/other photo management tools etc. Something usefull.

Don't be afraid to propose something.
    Thank

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Lightroom 3 Plugin

Hi Mathieu! Have you lookied into the Topaz Adjust plug-in for Lightroom? You can check out the features here: http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust/ and you can download their trial version to experiment with for free.

I am looking into getting this (along with several other Topaz products) as a Photoshop CS5 Plug-in as it is so highly rated.

Update: I just found a very interesting video on what Topaz Adjust can do so I thought I'd provide the link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSXw...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by FrankMi; 11th December 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Real Name
    Mathieu

Hey Frank,

I'm not sure if I understood you, or you understood me (both would be highly possible ), but I'm searching for a Lightroom Plugin Development project, and not for a plugin. And if it was a request to do something like that, I may add that I'm probably clueless to image manipulation like that

I'm more searching to add functionalities inside Ligthroom. To make it easier/faster to use or add brand new functionality.

Cheers

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
    I'm more searching to add functionalities inside Ligthroom. To make it easier/faster to use or add brand new functionality.
    Ah! I suspect that most features that you might think to add to Lightroom are already available from a vendor somewhere. Sounds like an interesting challenge!

Real Name
    Mal

What about a function that imports and exports directly into Adobe Creative Cloud. They seem to have it for Photoshop but not for Lightroom.

Real Name
    Mathieu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Ah! I suspect that most features that you might think to add to Lightroom are already available from a vendor somewhere. Sounds like an interesting challenge!
    Yes I know I saw many plugins on their website. There are many image manipulation and presets plugin. Not much new/extended functionality for Lightroom itself. Something like easier copy paste of Development settings on your picture collection etc.

Malcom, yeah that could be. I just don't know Abobe Creative Cloud, yet

Real Name
    Louise

Hello Mathieu, I use L/R also, what I like about it is it's so simple, only one action to a result by opposition to P/S that requires always 5-6-10 differents steps to realise an effect. If L/R had the specials effects of P/S, i.e. make a branch dissapear for example, what would be nice.

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Hi Mathieu,

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you were thinking about but something I want to do reasonably often is filter a collection of images based on orientation. I guess in theory this is simple enough, which image dimension is the larger x or y? But I don't know how that works if an original image was taken in landscape orientation but has a virtual copy with a crop applied in a portrait orientation.

For example a filter that allowed me to show all images in a catalogue or collection with a keyword of 'calendar', with 3 stars or more and is in a landscape orientation would be great.

Of course it is possible that this option exists and I just haven't found it!

Cheers,
    Ady

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, New user to lightroom 3 so not really had a lot of time to go in deep "so to speak" if it is not already there I would like the option to assign keyboard shortcuts to external apps ie Ctrl ? to send 3,4 or more images to say Photomatix or to send image/s to Onone app, from what I have seen online in training vids you have to right click then send to or export to ???
    As I say new to LR3 so it may already be there and I have not found it yet.
    Thanks
    Russ

I suspect that LR4 will have a layers facility but, until then, a layers plug-in could be very useful.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, There is a layers plugin already from Onone software, I have been watching there free webinars on the subject and now no what I want for Christmas
    Have a look here http://www.youtube.com/user/onOneUniversity
    This is one reason why I would like to be able to assign keyboard shortcuts to more than one external editor.
    Russ

Real Name
    Mathieu

Thank guys for the answers.

I'm currently thinking of creating a Lightroom 3 Power Tools plugin. Which is a collection of small/medium functionalities to fasten/ease the different workflows/actions inside Lightroom. So if you have any suggestion on what you miss the most and what is the most annoying thing you have to do in lightroom and how it could be made easier, please let me know

I currently have 1-2 things that annoy me (such as the way to copy develop settings from a photo to a collection of photo).

Real Name
    John

You need to see Perfect Effects 6. I think they may already have cornered the market.

Real Name
    Mathieu

This has nothing to do with what I'm planning to do

Mathieu:

I use Enfuse360 and Enfuse 360 occasionally and they work "OK", so this has been covered (although it could be improved).

I'm wondering if it would be possible to develop a plug-in for LR that would stitch several photos together? I have an TSE f/3.5 lens, but haven't tried stitching because it means buying more software. A plug-in would make it easier perhaps?

Glenn

Here's a suggestion:

Is it possible to add the ability to build a macro, the same as spreadsheets? There are so many repetitive processes in LR3, surely this would help?

As an example, how many key strokes does it take to export an image? A macro would reduce this to Shift E or whatever.

They're a pain to create & test, but get them right & macros are a real asset. The download would probably need a few sample macros included, to get those unfamiliar with them started.

Regards
    Max P

Real Name
    John

How about the ability to rotate an image at any angle in the Print Module? Currently, you can do a 90 degree rotation but I would like to do a layout with images at various angles without having to go to Photoshop.

Real Name
    Mathieu

I guess the reason you can only make 90 degree rotation of image is to avoid applying interoplation and/or loosing image quality.