Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fujifilm X10

Real Name
    Peter

Fujifilm X10

Has anyone handled this camera yet? I liked the look of it's fixed lens predecessor the Fujiflim Finepix X100, but the limitation of a fixed lens does not appeal to me.
    The X10 looks great and what I like about it (on paper) is that the lens zooms by turning the lens. Just like a real lens.
    The reviews I read are mixed though and one review voices complaints about important things like where the controls are positioned, battery life, manual focus, proprietary RAW and a few other things.
    Shooting with higer ISO on the other hand seems to be fine, so that would be a big plus. And the sensor is 2/3", which is a bit bigger than what some of the other small cameras (Panasonic LX, Canon G) offer at the moment.

I'll probably stick with my older GX200 for the moment. The point is that none of the smaller cameras seems to have everything I expect and want on a camera.

But the X10 does look nice.

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Fujifilm X10

Hi Peter,

The camera does look nice. There are a few positive reviews on the web. However there is the infamous 'white blob syndrome'. Basically when any of the camera's RGB channels is saturated then the camera sets the other channels to full saturation too. This can result in white blobs around highlights. Have a look at the picture in this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...9932534&page=1

The picture of the front of the silver Mercedes show big blobs on the front grill.

So the camera is good but not for anything with blown highlights. A firmware fix should be able to address this some time in the future though. Fuij are usually good at that. They fixed a lot of the buggy bits of the X100 firmware following response from their users.

Alex
    Last edited by herbert; 6th December 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Had a ten minute play with one a few weeks back and was mightily impressed. The manual zoom is a joy to use, as is the twist to turn on feature. The viewfinder was good, certainly better than any other compact I've used and the camera had a nice overal heft to it.

Would I but one over a Micro 4/3 camera or something like a Nikon 1 - no. Just about the same size, vastly better sensors and if you want to expand the lens range (not always the point in a point-n-shoot I know) buts the option is there.

Real Name
    Hans

Read some stuff about it and in fact it's a very nice piece of equipment.
    However the lens is not changeable.
    I'm still waiting to see the first Sony NEX 7 with APS-C Sensor coming into the field.
    The previews are very promising.

Real Name
    Kathy

Mostly, I'm waiting to see the Fuji LX10 (what the rumor sites are calling the interchangeable lens version of the X100).

For me, the X10 doesn't hold a lot of interest, since it doesn't have the X100's hybrid viewfinder, and the viewfinder it does have only has 85% coverage. I hated that on my G9.

Real Name
    Robin

Ive had a play with the NEX7 too.......much better than the 3/5 cameras as the implementation of the manual control dials are very well thought out. Viewfinder is a bit pointless and not as good as say the X100 but I LOVED the Zeiss 24mm I tried it with. Hate the stupid high pixel sensor as 1. There's no need for it - 2. Sony have sacrificed high ISO performance for pixels no one needs - 3. It is diffraction limited to f8 which is laughable - 4. Most people who buy it, those who's entire house is filled with Sony stuff cos they're weird, won't have the computer power to effectively deal with that many pixel, store the enormous files, view them effectively or be able to print them to a size where the pixel count matters. Hate is a strong word but I do hate it as it will drive the market in the direction of "pixel count badges" again instead of leading it towards a better overal image quality.

Fuji will release a Mirrorless System in Feb next year. - you had better start saving now as it ain't gonna be cheap.

Real Name
    Hans

The same sensor as in the NEX 5N would be enough I agree.
    The X10 seems to get a 2/3 sensor?
    About Fuji, if they come with a mirrorless system I hope they choose for APS C size at least. If they come out with a EVIL system that would be good news. Unfortunatly I only see a SLT on the rumor sites. This is a bit to bulky. I want to get rid of the big camera, that is why I like the NEX 7 with build in EVF and hotshoe.
    Still saving money at the moment so lets see what the future brings.
    Last edited by Hansm; 8th December 2011 at 07:10 AM.

Real Name
    Robin

Spoke with someone from Fuji a month ago and he 'sort of' confirmed an APSc sensor for the upcoming EVIL - very likely a tweaked X100 sensor which would be fantastic.

The X10 has a pretty normal compact camera sensor not a 4/3rd's one. It is an EXR derivative which performs well in other Fuji's but as I said I haven't actually played with the files just the camera.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    The X10 has a pretty normal compact camera sensor not a 4/3rd's one....
    Actually, it's a 2/3" sensor. Most P&S sensors are in the 1/2.3" - 1/1.7" range (~5x crop factor). The X10's sensor is the largest compact camera sensor with a 3.9x crop factor. But definitely smaller than both the Nikon 1" (2.7x crop) sensors and 4/3 sensors (2x crop).

For my money, if I was looking at the X10, I'd also be looking at the Nikon 1 cameras. And if I were shooting fast action, it'd be a Nikon 1 hands down. 10fps burst shooting is fun.

I have just traded my Leica D-Lux 4 for the Fujifilm X-10, primarily because I value the viewfinder. Until now, I have been solidly Leica and have the Digilux3, the X1 and the C-Lux2. The X1 (with viewfinder and case) is three times the price of the X-10 and the intrinsic impression is similar. I don't doubt the superior quality of the Leica lenses, but the X-10 provides the useful zoom facility. Initial shots with the X-10 are excellent. The contrast between the X1 and the X-10 is simplicity versus sophistication. At the moment, I sense that the X-10 will be a versatile and quality instrument.

Real Name
    Robin

While the X10 is certainly more versatile than a X1, it having a zoom lens and video, the X1 will batter it to death without even getting into a sweat when it comes to image quality. Only a X100 can come close to a proper Leica when it comes to lens quality and image output - I say proper Leica as the Digilux/C-Lux/D-Lux range are just rebadged Panasonic's, that are by Panasonic in the far east with Panasonic lenses and have nothing to do with the actual Leica factory in Germany.

Hi

I had one given to me at Christmas. Although I have had little chance to use it yet, it is a very clever and sophisticated camera which produces excellent shots. I have a fairly large number of good quality digital cameras and my initial impression is that this one is something special in the "all in one" class.

Real Name
    Robin

There is an issue with the X10 that Fuji have said they can't fix.

Google it but in a nutshell the camera produces 'Orbs' around highlight areas which are intrinsic to the design. There is a firmware update due but it won't solve the problem just help reduce it. Check this carefully before you spend your cash on it.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Mostly, I'm waiting to see the Fuji LX10 (what the rumor sites are calling the interchangeable lens version of the X100).

For me, the X10 doesn't hold a lot of interest, since it doesn't have the X100's hybrid viewfinder, and the viewfinder it does have only has 85% coverage. I hated that on my G9.
    Its not called LX10 but X-Pro1 and it was announced a few days ago, an interchangeable lens APS-C lens-less compact. And on paper it looks a cracker, can't wait to see one in the flesh.

Real Name
    Pete

the Canon G1X looks nice. the sensor is between m4/3 and APSC in size so its probably the 18mp one downscaled so image quality will be top drawer - a Nikon user saying nice things about Canon?!?!

pity about the view finder but heh!