Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Registering A 7D Battery To The Camera

Real Name
    Richard

Registering A 7D Battery To The Camera

Sometimes, I overlook things in the owners manual for a new camera. The Canon 7D manual provides the initial information regarding setting up your camera in the front portion of the manual but, doesn't mention registering batteries until later in the book. I only found it recently while perusing the manual.

Basic battery information is covered on pages 24-28. However, the process of registering a battery and identifying the battery is not covered until pages 230-233.

IMO, registering a battery to the camera is probably not necessary if you have only one battery. However, if you own several batteries, it would probably be easier to track the performance of the batteries by registering them.

I like the way that the 7D provides battery information such as remaining charge, number of photos you have taken since the last charge and the recharge performance.

I learned that one of my Stirlingtek batteries performance is not up to par. This is not the fault of the battery or of the manufacturer. One of my dogs removed the battery from the charger which was plugged into a floor level charger and used it as a chew toy. Luckily she was a relatively small dog and her jaws were not powerful enough to break open the battery. However, she did damage it enough that the recharge performance has been impacted. I have gotten rid of the battery and will never recharge a battery in a floor level socket again.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Registering A 7D Battery To The Camera

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    One of my dogs removed the battery from the charger which was plugged into a floor level charger and used it as a chew toy. Luckily she was a relatively small dog and her jaws were not powerful enough to break open the battery.
    I'm reminded of an occasion when I treated my Dobermanns to some cow bones from the butcher. I think the general idea is that they chew away at them and get all remaining bits of meat off them, but they actually managed to break the big/thick bones up into much smaller pieces ... it's incredible to think how much power they have in their jaws.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Registering A 7D Battery To The Camera

I visited a wolf preserve several years ago and they showed us a comparison between skulls of wolves and those of domestic dogs. The wolf has a very prominent bone ridge along the top of its skull which (according to the guide) increases the power of the wolf's jaws considerably and allows the wolf to crack open bones for the marrow inside.

At that time, I had a wonderful dog which was a Golden Retreiever - German Shepherd - Wolf combination...

Registering A 7D Battery To The Camera

When I got home, I felt along the top of her head. She definitely had a very pronounced bone ridge. I checked a friend's German Shepherd and my daughter's Golden Retriever and, although the bone ridge was present, it was no where nearly as prominant as it was on my wolf hybrid.

BTW: she had all the good characteristics of both breeds of dogs and of a wolf. She was well over 85 pounds (about 39 kilos) and, although the was the most gentle dog in the world, she was extremely protective over my wife and my little white Maltese.

One time a man came up to my fence trying to collect for some bogus charity. My Maltese barked at him and he laughed saying, "They're cute dogs but they wouldn't scare away no robber!" However he changed his tune when 85 pounds of angry wolf-dog hit the chain link fence with jaws wide open. She thought he was messing with her little friends.