Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: confused

confused

I can’t work out which firmware version is current for my camera which is a canon 450d, at present it shows up in camera as 1.0.4 on canon site it gives version 1.1.0 dated 09 as last update and then goes on to say [Version 1.1.0 firmware is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.0.9. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.] so does this mean I need to update , as 1.0.4 seems higher numerically than 1.1.0

Real Name
    Richard

Re: confused

Actually, the 1.1.0 edition is newer than the 1.0.4 just as the number 110 is higher than 104. At least that is how I interpret those pesky numbers.

Yes upgrading would probably be a good idea.

Real Name
    Andrew

1.1.0 is the most current firmware. I just updated my second 450D body a few weeks ago as it had 1.0.9. Richard's description of how their numbering system works was spot on. 110 is higher (newer/more recent) than 109 and 104.

Real Name
    Rob

What is the firmware updates for? What does it improve?

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey Rob. Not knowing much about the stuff myself, I'll try to explain what I think I know. Firmware is an item of hardware's (camera's) version of software. It's internal, and specific to the workings of that particular hardware. Manufacturers update every so often when problems, or glitches, become apparent. By downloading the firmware updates, users assure themselves that they have the most current, and up to date internal software for that particular hardware, in this case, the camera.

Make any sense?

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hey Rob. Not knowing much about the stuff myself, I'll try to explain what I think I know. Firmware is an item of hardware's (camera's) version of software. It's internal, and specific to the workings of that particular hardware. Manufacturers update every so often when problems, or glitches, become apparent. By downloading the firmware updates, users assure themselves that they have the most current, and up to date internal software for that particular hardware, in this case, the camera.

Make any sense?
    I knew it fixed glitches, but I was wondering what it does on a more technical level. Its basically a small computer that communicates with the sensor and meter, and so on, right?.

Also why should I download a new firmware every time a new one comes out? My camera is working fine. Will I get more mega pixels? (Just kidding!!!). Can I see a difference?

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Tygart View Post
    I knew it fixed glitches, but I was wondering what it does on a more technical level. Its basically a small computer that communicates with the sensor and meter, and so on, right?.
    correct

Also why should I download a new firmware every time a new one comes out? My camera is working fine. Will I get more mega pixels? (Just kidding!!!). Can I see a difference?
    You think your camera is working perfectly, but the fact that new firmwares come out usually means that something is not. It's best to read the release-notes to find out what has been fixed.

Real Name
    Bill S

In my opinion, it is always best to refer to the associated release notes that should accompany a firmware release (usually, under good practices, the release notes will have a history of what was updated in each release).

Because there is always a (usually very small) risk of the firmware install not happening correctly and completely disabling the camera, I usually recommend that folks update firmware only when they are experiencing a specific problem that that particular firmware update will fix. Sometimes, as Hero mentions, you might not know you're experiencing a problem, and so you might want to test your camera to see if you can reproduce the problem they are describing as fixed in the release notes (sometimes not every unit will behave the same exact way, and one camera might exhibit a problem while another won't).

Hope this helps.

- Bill