Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Buying Second Hand Camera Bodies

Real Name
    Alex

Buying Second Hand Camera Bodies

I currently have a Nikon D100 and I would really like a new body, though I don't have much money to throw around.

I've come across a good deal on a second hand, but fairly high end, model. However, apparently this particular unit has two problems:
    - difficulty connecting to the computer via USB for transfer and remote control
    - difficulty recognising older (non AF-G?) lenses

I'm not overly concerned by the first item on this list. As for the second, this may well mean I wouldn't be able to use Nikon's AF-D 50mm f/1.8 which I've been considering buying. Does it make more sense to get a body in better working order so I can save on lenses, or would I be better off saving for the f/1.8G anyway?

Also, do these problems perhaps suggest that the camera isn't in great shape and might not last that long anyway.

PS: It says it's had about 35000 shutter actuations. Is that considered a lot?

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Buying Second Hand Camera Bodies

Alex, which model and how much? personally i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.......but at least the seller is being honest i suppose.... do you know them? could they only be telling half the truth?

Real Name
    Alex

It's a D300. It's being bidded on, as yet under 100 I think. That's probably too good to be true for such a camera.

It says returns accepted, so if it's immediately obvious that it's more defective than stated, it could be returned. Don't know the seller, but he/she is at least

Real Name
    Mark

The expected shutter actions is 150,000 so it not had a lot of use, im sure the price will rise tho as the auction carries on you can pick them up from about 600 in good working order, whats the sellers feedback like? are they uk based?

Real Name
    Alex

Yes, the price probably will go up, although it is rising a lot more slowly than the prices of worse models in better conditions.

The dispatch address is in the UK. The seller reputation is 100% good, but that's based on only 3 sales.

Real Name
    Mark

Might be worth a punt as long as the price doesnt go up to high maybe 300 any more than that and id buy a used one thats fully functional, but at the end of the day its up to you, good luck

Real Name
    Alex

Thanks for your help! Didn't get it in the end - price went higher than I wanted to pay for a defective camera. Guess I'll have to stick with the D100 for now...