Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W conversion

Real Name
    Steve

B&W conversion

HI
    My first image post, and its not entirely mine.
    My nephew took this image of me dancing with my eldest daughter on her wedding day October just gone.
    I have attempted a conversion, cc welcome.
    Many thanks

B&W conversion

rob marshall

Re: B&W conversion

It's not bad. The problem is it's hard to tell as it looks as if it might have been taken in difficult conditions to start with. Your daughter's left eyelash, and the back of your hair look blown out on the blacks. Overall though, it's not bad. What did you use for the convert?

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Rob, and thanks for your input.
    I use Photoshop CS3, using a B&W layer along bringing down mainly the reds and yellows, also with some alterations with an exposure layer. I do tend to over meddle sometimes :-)

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by steveathome View Post
    Hi Rob, and thanks for your input.
    I use Photoshop CS3, using a B&W layer along bringing down mainly the reds and yellows, also with some alterations with an exposure layer. I do tend to over meddle sometimes :-)
    I take it you didn't do it in RAW as you used a BW layer. Had you done so you could have used 'fill light' to pull back the blacks prior to converting it, and even adding contrast wouldn't have blown them out. Doing it in JPEG means if the blacks are blown to start with the BW conversion will probably make them worse. It's a funny old game - photography. Or is that football?

Real Name
    Steve

I never even considered converting in bridge, thanks for the idea.