Peter Hilton

Sunset in Derbyshire

Here's one that I took a while ago

Sunset in Derbyshire

Real Name
    John

Re: Sunset in Derbyshire

Hi Peter,
    I like your picture, but for my taste is just a little busy, with all of the tree branches. But that aside a pleasant picture, well done.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Peter,

Was this shot jpg? I am seeing a lot of nasty artefacts.

Or is it possible that some of the pale yellow halos around the branches happened in PP, or in a "bicubic sharper" downsizing? Or even at TinyPic? In fact I wonder if you have downsized quite enough for TinyPic?

The EXIF says:
    Image Width = 1780 pixels
    Image Height = 1100 pixels

But the image is now: 1,599px × 988px, so TinyPic downsized it (again?) for you (because it exceeded 1600px on longest edge).

I bet the image you have on your computer is much better than what we now see here, especially if RAW captured.

The yellow halos have actually (due to the distance between branches) merged together forming large areas on the left of the sun where the light between branches appears the paler yellow colour instead of the proper orange.

A promising capture spoiled by viewing conditions, but with the knowledge I gained (the hard way, just like this) it can/could be better

Rather than teach you to suck eggs (you might be better at it than me), or assume things that aren't true - could you tell us what you did, then I'll suggest ways to avoid the problems.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Hi Dave,

I know almost nothing about DSLR and even less about PP.

Yes I have cropped the image and have probably over-sharpened it. I have done very little else to it

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Hi Dave,

I tried to upload the original (which she who must be obeyed thinks is better anyway) but it is far too big and without cropping it I do not no how to resize it,

What software, Peter?

The exact method will vary but somewhere you will have an Image Resize option which should allow you to simply resize your image. Just enter the new details and click OK (or whatever else is needed to start the process) and it should work automatically.

Getting slightly technical . . .

For direct inclusion into the site, I work with 700 pixels on the long side; does your software offer you the ability to work in pixels? And I set the resolution to 96 ppi, although that shouldn't make any difference; but some programmes insist that you enter something in this box. Selecting a Jpeg compression ratio which gives you less than 150 Kb also helps, but isn't essential as the uploading software can cope; but it may produce a slightly softer result.

The only potential problem is that after substantial downsizing the resulting image may benefit from a little extra sharpening.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by beechdale basher View Post
    Hi Dave,

I tried to upload the original (which she who must be obeyed thinks is better anyway) but it is far too big and without cropping it I do not no how to resize it,
    Hi Peter,

It is described in post #6 in this thread; HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

In the bit that starts "Here is a recommended method:"