Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One sleeper, two bodies.

Real Name
    Ramachandran

One sleeper, two bodies.

The caterpillar, the images of which I had submitted earlier (Acrobatics of a Caterpillar and What a

Pattern) was eating leaves and growing quite fast. Then suddenly it came down from the upper areas,

stopped all activity and became motionless.

After about an hour it slowly started to weave a thin band around a small tender branch of Adathoda

vasica, attaching itself at the rear end and at the middle rib with a body band. As if exhausted, it

stopped all activity. I watched it all through the night.

One sleeper, two bodies.

To day around ten in the morning it became active again and started to heave like it had difficulty in

breathing. Then after a while it started to wriggle and drew back its skin towards its rear end. The

crumpled skin fell off smoothly.

One sleeper, two bodies.

And it became a pupa, soft and wet. I think it shrank a little before hardening. Now it waits to

complete the biological processes. It will come out a beautiful black and yellow butterfly - a birdwing

- Troides minos.

I have to be there at the appropriate time to photograph him/her. I am clueless as to when it will

happen. A week? Two?

I am sure some people do not like detailed descriptions especially with scientific names. I do that

because for me photography is not only an art but a tool to learn the world around me too. The pleasure

of knowledge adds to the pleasure of photography or for that matter any form of art.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Pappadi; 2nd December 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Second image did not upload.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: One sleeper, two bodies.

Fascinating pictures Ramachandran,

I can't help with any knowledge I'm afraid

I hope you're there too.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: One sleeper, two bodies.

I agree with Dave. I hope you are present to see the conclusion of this amazing transformation.