Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: question on matless framing

question on matless framing

Hi All,
    Framing seems to be the next step after printing so it seems appropriate that I post the question here. My wife, who happens to be our home interior designer and in-house art director has picked out a frame for a picture that she says does not need a mat. My problem is how to keep the print from touching the glass. The frame has what appears to be a standard ledge of about 1/16". Is there anything I can buy to place between the glass and the print with out intruding on the print or will I have to cut a 1/16" strip of 4 or 8 ply mat that will do the job.

thanks for the help
    Mike

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: question on matless framing

Hi Mike,

Can you post a picture of the frame? I don;t quite understand what you mean.

Cheers.

Hi RockNgoalstar,
    Sorry I did not buy the frame yet. The only way I can describe it is when I normally frame a picture everything is loaded from the rear. All the components sit against a stop which I think is called a rabbit. first I put the glass in then the mat then the print and lastly the mount board. All of this sits on a stop or a rabbit in the moulding or frame. My wife doesn't want a mat so the print will sit touching the glass. As I understand it that is a no-no.
    I hope that makes sense

Mike

Real Name
    Tommy

Is this what you mean?

http://www.frametek.com/HTML/Article..._Mounting.html

If so, I really like that style of framing too. Have a look at Figure 1: The basic structure of the float mounting elements. That shows that the print doesn't actually touch the glass, but is merely sitting on a foam board, while the glass is supported on all sides by a spacer which is hidden under the frame.

Clever eh?

very cool looking. I might try to do something like that but I dont think that is what my wife was looking for. I think she is wants the print to go to the edge of the glass and only a 4 to 8 ply spacer.

Mike

Real Name
    Ken

I think that it is a rabbet, not a rabbit, which is the furry thing

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    I think that it is a rabbet, not a rabbit, which is the furry thing
    Can you shoot them with cannons?

Maybe a nikon? btw I looked up the spelling by googling woodworking rabbit and all sort of pics and articles came up So us dumb yankees got it wrong again. But then again this spelling gramar thing could take on a life of its own besides I always thought the furry little creature was a wabbit.