Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old Mill (B@W)

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Old Mill (B@W)

Photo of a old mill done in B@W. Not done anything in B@W so far. Only thing I hated was the people poping out of the door at last sec but guess this happen at times. Feed back always welcome.

Old Mill (B@W)

16.2 mm
    1/125
    f/5.6
    ISO 100
    No Flash

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Old Mill (B@W)

Paul

That is a very well seen/composed image.

A comment for you to think about concerns the degeree of 'pop' you want to get into your images. Some migth consider this a little flat.

I don't know how familiar your are yet with the the concept of Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) and of using levels and curves to inject a bit of dynamism into an otherwise quite flat scene.

I hope you do not mind, but the best way of showing what I mean is to illustrate it in this re-worked version of your image. You may not like this treatment. But it does offer a way of thinking about it that may you may not have considered.

I think the objective has got to be to do it subtley and not go over-the-top.

Your original
    Old Mill (B@W)

My re-work
    Old Mill (B@W)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'd be inclined to try a little output sharpening as well -- something like 100% @ 0.4px might add just a touch of "focus" to it?

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Thanks all. Yes I was thinking it needed something but having never work with B@W before I did'nt know what.
    Donald your rework looks great and gave it more of what it needed. Going to keep working at editing not going to beat me down

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    Going to keep working at editing not going to beat me down
    And that is very much the way to approach it. If you see editing/post-processing as being as much part of the image-making process as what you did in the run up to actually pressing the shutter, then it becomes part of the whole enjoyable process.

Image-making has two parts - Pressing the shutter is the end of the first part of making an image. The second part starts when you begin processing in the darkroom (if you're shooting film) or on computer (if you're shooting digitally.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th November 2011 at 12:54 PM.