Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Venice

Real Name
    Pritam

Venice

I visited Venice last week and took many pictures while there. It is a fascinating city and very picturesque, the streets and colours are extremely vibrant.

I wanted to share some with a view to eliciting comments on what viewers here think of them. Here goes with two photographs. I will post more in the thread later...

Venice

Venice

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Venice

Hi Pritam

The second shot works better for me than the first. I like the reflections in the second shot but could I suggest that you crop about 20% off the bottom of the shot.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Nice shot, Pritam.
    I am sure you are having fun in Venice. It is well known for its beauty.
    Well for your shots, I guess including the lower part of the building could have brought more points of interest. If I were you, I would have waited a li'l longer to have a human element in the picture. (Someone looking out of the window)

For the pic no. 2. You could have done a better job with a different Point of View. I am not sure if that was possible to do.

Real Name
    Pritam

Thank you, Dave and Sahil, for viewing and taking the time to comment.

I am uploading a few more ... More gondolas on the canals.

Venice

Venice

Venice

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A great selection of images, Pritnam.

Many of the buildings are splayed outward at the top owing to the down angle of the camera when the image was taken. Some of this can be corrected in post processing by using a Skew adjustment but you will lose some of the image on the sides. A better approach is to keep the camera as level, front to back, as possible and still get as much of the image in the frame as possible or try to get the camera lower if conditions permit.

Venice is a fascinating place when you think about the buildings of Venice being constructed on closely spaced Alder trunk wooden piles driven into the mud that have lasted for hundreds of years!

Real Name
    Pritam

Thanks, Frank. I found it quite difficult to step back far enough from the subjects in the narrow streets (which they call 'calle') to avoid the perspective distortion. That's why the buildings are so often skewed in my pictures. I don't possess a post-processing program to make the adjustment. In time, I'll get one.

Yes, it is indeed a fascinating place and I did not know about the 'Alder trunk wooden piles driven into the mud' part of Venetian foundations.

I'm adding a few more pictures. These have some human interest as they are taken in the daily markets which are open from the morning till about noon or so. Sea food, fruit and vegetables seem to be the top shelf items.

Venice

Venice

Venice

Venice