Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help! Lenses for Nikon D7000

Real Name
    Yinan

Help! Lenses for Nikon D7000

Hello everyone, I'm getting a Nikon D7000 in a few weeks but I haven't decided on which lenses to get.
    I'm only buying the camera body, not with the kit. I just don't think I would need the lens that comes with it.
    I know for sure that I'm getting a Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G, but I don't know what else to get.
    I'm a student and I use a camera mostly for portraits and sometimes landscapes.
    Should I get a lens that could change focus or is 35/1.8 enough? Which ones would be good to get? My budget is around $800....

I thought getting a fisheye lens would be fun, but I think Nikon has a program inside that allows you to get that effect?

Thanks everyone!

Re: Help! Lenses for Nikon D7000

Yes Nikon can do the fisheye in the camera software. I'd skip the fisheye lens and go for a 50mm prime or an 85 prime if you are into portraits, as the 35 will let you take some great landscapes. Once you use those more you can see if you want a wider angle lens.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Milzarr View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm getting a Nikon D7000 in a few weeks but I haven't decided on which lenses to get.
    I'm only buying the camera body, not with the kit. I just don't think I would need the lens that comes with it.
    I know for sure that I'm getting a Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G, but I don't know what else to get.
    I'm a student and I use a camera mostly for portraits and sometimes landscapes.
    Should I get a lens that could change focus or is 35/1.8 enough? Which ones would be good to get? My budget is around $800....

I thought getting a fisheye lens would be fun, but I think Nikon has a program inside that allows you to get that effect?

Thanks everyone!
    Hi "Milzarr",

If that isn't your first name name, please Edit your Profile and add a first name in the Real Name field and a Location in, well, the Location field, City/State + Country is fine.

Should I get a lens that could change focus or is 35/1.8 enough?
    I think you mean "change focal length"; in other words, a zoom lens, and no, I doubt you will find one, or even two, 'prime' (i.e. non zoom) lenses enough.

For versatility, I went for the 18-200mm (Nikon AF-S) as a good compromise between wide angle and telephoto for my D5000 body, that's within your budget I think and may leave enough left for a cheaper 50mm too. The 18-200 isn't perfect (or fast), but I doubt you'll do better for versatility and quality in a single lens for the two subjects you have mentioned.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    John

Get the kit lens anyway. You'll be surprised how much you'll like it.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi try the 18-200 as dave suggested, it can be bought as part of a kit and you will save money doing it that way, some kit lenses are better than others so be carful and read the review before you commit to any other kit lens. the 18 -200 covers a hell of a range and will allow you to see how your style develops and point you in the right direction for future lens choice.

Real Name
    Yinan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    think you mean "change focal length";
    Yes Dave, that is what I wanted to say.

I think I will get the kit lens with the camera and get a 50mm/85mm later.
    Thanks for all the comments : D

Real Name
    Erik

I agree. I love the kit lens that came with my D7000.