Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Why some cards cost more.....

Real Name
    Robin

Why some cards cost more.....

Brilliant story with a happy ending.....also.....the reason why some cards cost more than others and why I always buy Sandisk:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/27/c...as-lost-at-se/

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Why some cards cost more.....

Good grief! But I don't think I'll repeat the experiment just to check if it works with my Sandisk cards as well.

Real Name
    Noel

I have mostly Sandisk but have some Kingston, Lexar and a generic (looks like a Sandisk 8 G compact flash card) that have all performed well over several years. Now I have to admit I have not dunked any of them in the ocean or even a puddle. So like Donald I won't repeat that experiment because I like my cameras. Noel

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'm a big Sandisk fan as well ... just be sure when you buy a Sandisk card that you're actually buying a Sandisk card. Some time ago some bright spark figured out that if you print a label that looks like a Sandisk label - stick it on any old card - you can make a lot of money. The idea was so successful it's got to the point where approx 100% of "Sandisk" cards on eBay are fakes

Real Name
    Bobo

Yes they are good but the Extreme versions are pretty expensive. Recently got an Extreme Pro 16gig sdcard that is rated at 95MB/s'. I also have a bunch of Transend cards with a speed rating of 10x which do pretty well and lots cheaper. None of these has died on me yet so can recommend them. Compared to the Sandisk card these are a tad slower.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Can't recall the source but the advice was to make the 1st pic. on each card a snapshot of an index card with your contact info., in case your camera or card is lost....

Real Name
    Bill S

I have an 8GB Sandisk card that went through the wash in the pocket of my pants. It still works just fine to this day. just glad I caught it before the pants went into the dryer - it might not have survived the heat.

But a run through the wash is nothing like a year in salt water. Pretty impressive.

- Bill

Real Name
    C H Tay

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Can't recall the source but the advice was to make the 1st pic. on each card a snapshot of an index card with your contact info., in case your camera or card is lost....
    Good idea. It will be good if the data can be automatically captured in the card every time we format it before using. Wondering how best to get this done?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Yes they are good but the Extreme versions are pretty expensive. Recently got an Extreme Pro 16gig sdcard that is rated at 95MB/s'.
    When I had my 1D3 I did a little throughput test, and off memory it topped out at something like only 15MB/sec -- so I'm guessing that the only advantage in a card that fast is probably when transferring from card-reader to PC (and having just said that, I use an extreme pro too ... and have a slow card reader - Doh!).

Real Name
    Richard

I really noticed a great difference in the write speeds of cards when I began shooting with my 7D. My 300x UDMA cards didn't seem much faster than slower non UDMA cards in my 30D and 40D cameras. Of course, these cameras were not UDMA compatible. (some photographers say that USMA cards are slower than non-UDMA cards in non-UDMA capable cameras).

However, there was a noticable speed up in transferring a full card to my computer with the UDMA cards in a UDMA capable reader.

There is a significant difference in speed writing to my 7D camera with the faster UDMA cards in my 7D. I now shoot only with 300x and 400x UDMA cards in my 7D and use the slower cards in my 40D.

By the way... A member of one of my photo groups complained that a piece her memory card from her 60D broke off in her computer card reader and that she had to get the computer serviced. I have had two Kingston CF cards that were defective when I first used them but, have never had a working CF card fail for any reason, much less because a piece of the card broke off.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 28th November 2011 at 04:16 AM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysDSLR View Post
    Good idea. It will be good if the data can be automatically captured in the card every time we format it before using. Wondering how best to get this done?
    Hrmmm - that's a good idea. Though, really the only way to do it would be for Canon/Nikon to make changed to their format policies. I know almost all cameras these days have owner information areas in the menus, but duplicating that information on the memory card (ie: so it can be accessed even if the camera battery is dead or like in this case where the camera itself is dead) would be a great idea. It wouldn't require much.

- Bill

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hi,

personally I use Sandisk and Kingston CF cards in my Canon 40D. Nowadays I always buy their ceaper (slower) CF card series because the bottleneck is the 40D not the CF card. I once read an article about it, but I am sorry I coul not find it at the moment.

Robert

Real Name
    Richard

An honest story or a story of honesty...

A tourist visited friends in Hurricane, Utah (between Saint George and Cedar City). He shot a few shots of his friends in front of their house with his film camera and then visited the Kolob Canyons of Zion National Park where he shot a few more images and left his camera on the hood (or bonnet) of his car.

The camera fell off when he drove away and was found by an honest Utah resident who had the film processed. The finder recognized the house in Hurricane and returned the camera plus the processed images to the photographer's friends.

It is events like this that give me confidence that the human race is not totally going to the dogs...

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Bought a brand new SanDisk extreme and went bad after few months.

Got it replaced with no problems and received replacement after few days.
    Excellent customer service and products!
    SanDisk Fanboy forever!!!

Real Name
    Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    It is events like this that give me confidence that the human race is not totally going to the dogs...
    I wish the same person had found my watch when it went missing a few weeks ago! Luckily for me, the insurance company broke all records and had a replacement (and new and improved model!) on my wrist 60 hours later!