Thread: She insisted to include her goat

Real Name
    Ramachandran

She insisted to include her goat

She was very happy. The goat is her family's income generator. I missed a great photograph when she brought me a cup of water and laughed. Lucky photographers never put down their camera!
    She insisted to include her goat

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: She insisted to include her goat

Ramachandran - That is a very engaging picture of a child who looks both shy and very sweet.

In terms of the quality of the image, I think there are perhaps a couple of points worth considering.

Firstly - the post at the left hand side is right up against the edge of the image. This is not a good position. It would have been better if there had been some space between the post and the edge of the frame.

It seems to me that the head of the goat is more in focus that the face of the child. I think if the child's face was sharpened, it would go someway to addressing that problem. But, you need to exercise care when taking the photo to ensure that you are focusing on the right part of the image you wish to produce.

I think you also gave yourself a very difficult challenge because of the extreme contrast between light and shade.

But, it still remains a wonderful momento of a young child who seems very pleased to have had her photograph taken.

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Thank you, Donald. I couldn't frame it that way, because there was an old man very close to that post, with his back towards me. The girl was a little more nearer and on the focal plane. Just before, may be a thousandths of a second she pulled back. I thought of a selective sharpening, as you have suggested but decided against it as I thought it better that her face is a bit soft. Immediately after the shot she ran away and vanished only to return with a cup of water after about five minutes. Then she was all smiles - so beautiful. But I missed that beautiful shot, for I like a fool had put my camera back in the bag. You can say it happens. Yeah, it happens!

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Pappadi View Post
    I missed a great photograph when she brought me a cup of water and laughed. Lucky photographers never put down their camera.
    But a great person prioritises the subject and makes a connection, hence creating more opportunities for later. You have but one chance for a first impression, you have many for image taking.
    Congrats on being a good person first and a photographer second.
    Beautiful story in the image.
    Graham

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

As Donald said. Very engaging portrait.

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Thank you Graham, thank you Sahil.
    Sahil, several years ago I came to Chandigarh on my way to Shimla. Beautiful place.

Real Name
    Reynold Mainse

Ramachandran, that is great capture.
    These type of pictures are difficult as you are just responding to an ever changing setting. I would suggest that once you have established what your main subject is - then look for the perfect background to frame and focus the viewers attention. This may mean some fast footwork by you moving side to side or up and down. try to place your subject with the rule of thirds in mind. In your photo I find that the hair is very similar to the roof top. Perhaps this could have been avoided. Also, keeping a flash on your camera comes in handy during the day when your main subject has some dark shadow issues. A little fill Flash might have improved this photo. Thank you for sharing your image.
    reynold

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Thanks Reynold, I will be more alert.