Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Battery grip for 5D MKII

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Battery grip for 5D MKII

Hi and, dare I say it? Seasons greetings to all on CiC,

Apart from being able to double up batteries for extended use, is there any other real benefit of a battery grip. I have a grip on my wish list but cant justify the layout just for that purpose only as the single battery in the camera far exceeds my daily/weekly usage. Recently I took over two hundred pictures on a single charge in a full week so the down-side of a grip to me is that it will make my camera heavy, larger, and I will also need to buy a new camera bag to fit it in. Apart from battery life what are the other benefits of a grip if any?

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Battery grip for 5D MKII

The camera handles better with larger/heavier lenses and when shooting with it in portrait orientation you still have a button on the (now) top.

Personally I just prefer the feel of a camera with a grip. I bought one for my previous D200 after trying a mates then bought one with the D300s.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I would endorse what Robin says. I've got a grip on my 40D and, now, just couldn't imagine trying to operate without it. It's one of these things that you manage with if you don't have one. But once you have it, you'd never give it up.

I suppose it is one of these 'added extra' items that, for most of us, is not essential. But if we can afford it, it's a great accessory.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Nigel,

I'd agree the main benefit being the top shutter button, which I'd certainly find handy on occasion - but my camera doesn't take one

As with yourself; I don't need it for battery life for my usage; I can get upto a thousand (non-flash) shots a charge, sometimes spread over 2 or 3 weeks

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I would endorse what Robin says. I've got a grip on my 40D and, now, just couldn't imagine trying to operate without it. It's one of these things that you manage with if you don't have one. But once you have it, you'd never give it up.

I suppose it is one of these 'added extra' items that, for most of us, is not essential. But if we can afford it, it's a great accessory.
    I was planning to reply, but you gave already the answer that I had in mind and I also use the 40D

I've never found the need for a grip for the reasons mentioned above. Being a piano player for sixty odd years has made my wrists considerably more flexible than those of the average person. I am easily able to rotate the camera CW or CCW - it doesn't really matter to me at all. Fortunately the camera always gets the image right-side-up.

If this reasoning seems odd consider this: I have a friend that started piano as an adult - he's achieved a reasonable level, but the first thing I notice when he plays is how stiff his wrists look to me. Those that started much younger don't exhibit this stiffness (I started at age six - that was in 1946 and my wrists are still very flexible).

So, the benefit of a grip would be lost on me (as would the money I spent on one). The gear bag is heavy enough for an old f--t.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Glenn

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Thanks very much for the replies everyone, most helpfull as usual. I too play piano and learned from an early age but arthritus has it's hold so a grip seems like a good option for the reasons mentioned above. However, do I get Canon original or go for the Hahnel?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

There is another add-on to Robin's answer, better balance with longer lenses when using a monopod, (obviously using the Lens’s Tripod Collar).

Also, there is another (rarely used reason): and that is for two handed (or left handed) shooting.
    The camera in the left hand is gripped inverted (landscape orientation) and the functionality of the thumb, index and middle fingers of the left hand mimics those of the right hand:
    Battery grip for 5D MKII

I suggest if you buy a Battery Grip that you buy the Canon product.

WW