Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: West Sands, St Andrews #1

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

West Sands, St Andrews #1

Shutter Finger has been getting itchy as the camera hasn't been out of the bag for over 2 weeks. So, took myself off to the beach at St Andrews (yes, the one famous for golf) early this morning. It's about 40 minutes from where I live.

Just fancied going on to the beach as it's not my normal sort of location. It was very, very windy and the sand was getting blown about (had to be careful). But it stayed dry for about 30 minutes and allowed me to wander about.

The keen-eyed golfers amongst you will notice the clubhouse of the Royal & Ancient over on the extreme left hand and the 18th fairway of the very famous Old Course running right to left along the front of the buildings.

It was the patterns of the sand being blown by the wind that caught my attention. Do you think it works?

West Sands, St Andrews #1
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 70mm. ISO400. 1/60@f5.6.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th November 2011 at 04:59 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: West Sands, St Andrews #1

Hi Donald,

The patterns work for me, but do I see grain?
    It's like sharpened noise, but it is only evident in the sand, not the trees/sky/hills/buildings, so may be it is real(?)

I think the scaffolding (left background) spoils it a little, but short of cloning it out...

Hope that's helpful (but I suspect not),

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

I think it is the grain, but acknowledge that I was at ISO 400, so ........!

I wondered about the scaffolding, but thought it would be too tough a cloning job. Just for interest, the scaffolding is around an old building that lay empty for years. It's now been bought by a big US property developer who is turning it into luxury apartments. Given that they overlook the 18th green of the Old Course, they're going (already bought up and not even finished yet) for about £2 million+.

Real Name
    John

It works, I wonder if a lower angle would give more detail to the patterns.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John - No, it didn't seem to. I was on my knees; and leaning over with elbows on the sand (good job it was early morning and there was no-one around), but the best angle seemed to be this one - which was basically me squatting. So, the lens is probably about something like 4'-4'6" (approx 1.2m-1.35m) off the ground.

ps - Should've said (which the above makes obvious) - this was hand held.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Donald, it's nice but my personal taste would be for the sand patterns to be more diagonal. Any chance of having a word with the wind gods and seeing if that changes things?
    Of course, a more diagonal sand pattern may mean more sand towards the camera, not a good thing.

I like the angle of the grassy knoll (conspiracy theorists beware) with the fence (rhs), so a little closer to take more advantage of it?
    I'm sure you tried several vantage points, love to see what else you did here.
    Graham

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think it is the grain, but acknowledge that I was at ISO 400, so ........!
    Hi Donald,

Nah, (unless this was a massive crop or the 40D is really noisy) by the time you downsized, then sharpened, that really shouldn't be the problem.

I wondered about the scaffolding, but thought it would be too tough a cloning job.
    I think you might get away with just doing the bit above the skyline.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    I'm sure you tried several vantage points, love to see what else you did here.
    Watch this space. The 2nd of two being processed as we speak!

Thanks for your comments.

The pattern really only worked from a 'head-on' viewpoint. Once you walked one way or the other, the effect got lost.

Real Name
    Rob

Hi Donald,

Beautiful picture!

On a side note: I've been there a few times. My Girlfriend of 6years is from Newport-On-Tay, and I did my Masters degree in Dundee. I've also stayed at the Old Coarse Hotel which I can see it in the picture (maybe not, it's been a while?), very nice indeed!

Anyway, thanks for the post!
    Rob

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE1 View Post
    On a side note: I've been there a few times. My Girlfriend of 6years is from Newport-On-Tay, and I did my Masters degree in Dundee. I've also stayed at the Old Coarse Hotel which I can see it in the picture (maybe not, it's been a while?), very nice indeed!
    Rob - Many thanks

I work in Dundee (working to the partnership of Local Authority, Health and Police in relation to development of child protection services). Lots of changes happening down by the waterfront area, where the new Victoria & Albert Museum is going to be built.

The Old Course Hotel is just out of shot behind the sand dune at the right hand side.

Real Name
    Rob

Lots of changes happening down by the waterfront area, where the new Victoria & Albert Museum is going to be built.
    Aha, I remember the planning had only started just as I was leaving. A marina right?

The Old Course Hotel is just out of shot behind the sand dune at the right hand side.
    I thought it was the last "full view" building to the right. Close enough.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Aha, I remember the planning had only started just as I was leaving. A marina right?[/quote]
    The Hilton Hotel and the swimming pool complex are coming down, as is Tayside House, the 60's monstrosity that was the Council HQ. Then whole area is being re-developed to include marina, open park areas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE1 View Post
    I thought it was the last "full view" building to the right. Close enough.
    No, that's Rusacks Hotel. Golfers might be interested that that is where the likes of Arnold Palmer, etc always stayed when the Open was played at St Andrews.

Real Name
    dave keeley

I would consider a tighter crop, take out some of the dill dark sky and the distracting detail to the left.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by dave keeley View Post
    I would consider a tighter crop, take out some of the dill dark sky and the distracting detail to the left.
    Dave - Thanks for commenting.

Do you not think that if you were to take off some of the sky you'd completely throw-out whatever balance and harmony there is between the land, buildings and sky? I think you'd then have the buildings far too close to the top of the frame.

I'm also wondering what you see as the 'distracting detail' to the left?

Real Name
    Sharon

That scaffolding is bloomin' annoying. The whole of Fife seems to be covered in it just now.

I think the picture is just great as is and if the sand looks grainy..well it's sand!!!!